Mussels with Local Sausage,
Braised Winter Greens, Caramelized Fennel
1) 1 dozen fresh Prince Edward Island Mussels
2) 8 (10 oz.) local Sweet Italian Sausage link - cut thin
3) ½ cup Swiss Chard and Arugula – Chiffanade
4) ¼ cup Fennel - thinly sliced
5) ¼ tsp. Dry Chili Flake
6) ¼ tsp. Shallots
7) 1 tbs. Unsalted Butter
8) 1 tsp. Fish Sauce
9) ¼ tsp. minced Garlic
10) ¼ cup Dry White Wine
11) 1 tbs. Olive Oil
1) Heat a 10” sauté pan to medium-high.
2) Add olive oil and sausage to pan and cook until golden brown on each side.
3) Add sliced fennel to pan and cook for 1 minute while continuing to stir.
4) Add mussels, chili flake, shallots and garlic to pan `stir once and then
deglaze with white wine.
5) Add butter, fish sauce and Swiss chard and steam with lid on until all
6) Dispose any unopened mussels.
7) Serve with your favorite crusty grilled bread.
Ayrshire Chicken Coq au Vin
with Whipped Potatoes
1) 4 Ayrshire Chicken Leg Quarters with thigh attached
2) 1 cup blanched Pearl Onions – lightly blanched
3) 1 cup Button Mushrooms – sautéed in olive oil
4) ½ cup rendered Lardons (or cooked smoked bacon)
5) 3 Bottles Red Wine
6) 1 tbs. unsalted Butter
7) 1 tbs. Olive Oil
8) 1 cup total of fresh Poultry Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary and Sage,
9) ½ cup Carrots
10) ½ cup Onion,
11) ½ cup Celery - all chopped
12) Mashed Potatoes (see recipe below)
1) Combine Carrots, Onion, Celery, Herbs, Red Wine.
2) Cover Chicken with mixture and add water to cover if needed.
3) Let stand in refrigerator for 12 hours.
4) Remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature before putting
into a preheated 300 degree oven for 2½ hours.
5) Strain chicken from liquid and hold chicken to side.
6) Reheat sauté pan and add Lardons, Mushrooms and Pearl Onions.
7) Cook until golden brown and add red wine braising liquid and chicken.
Then reduce on medium to high heat by 1/3.
8) Add butter to create gravy-like consistency.
9) Plate mashed potatoes with chicken on top and finish with reduction.
The Mash Potatoes
1) 1 cup Heavy Cream
2) ¼ lb. Butter
3) 2 tbs. Salt
1) Cover potatoes with cold water in large pot, bring to a boil and simmer
for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2) Heat Cream and Butter in sauce pan.
3) Drain potatoes and return to pot.
4) Add cream and butter mixture and salt and mash with hand masher.