For Children, Teens & Grown-Up's
Marge Glier - Cooking Instructor (left) and Lindsey Gustin (right)
Soy-Glazed Salmon Burgers
accompanied by Sauteed Kale
The Soy-Glazed Salmon
1) 1 ¼ to 1 ½ lb Fresh Salmon Fillets (skinned and chopped finely)
2) 2 Green Onions - sliced thin
3) 2 tbs. fresh Mint - finely chopped
4) ¾ cups fresh Bread Crumbs
5) 1 tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
6) A Mixture using the Aioli (see recipe below)
7) Ginger-Lime Aioli (see recipe below)
8) Soy Glaze (see recipe below)
9) Cucumber slices
10) Vegetable Oil
1) Mix the first 6 ingredients together. Lightly coat your hands with vegetable oil
to form the patties.
2) Go lightly and do not compact ingredients.
3) Place on well-oiled grill or in skillet.
4) Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and turn over.
5) Brush grilled or pan-seared side with soy glaze and finish cooking until internal
temperature is 135 degrees.
6) Brush other side with glaze and let rest keeping warm.
7) Prepare buns by toasting or grilling if you prefer.
8) After toasting, coat one side with the Ginger-Lime Aioli sauce, place cucumber slices,
sprouts or lettuce on the bun.
9) Add Salmon burger and top with more Ginger-Lime Aioli.
1) ½ cup Mayonnaise
2) 2 tbs. Sour Cream
3) 2 Garlic Cloves - minced
4) 2 tsp. fresh Ginger - minced
5) 1 tbs. fresh Lime Juice
6) ¼ tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
1) Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2) Reserve 2 tablespoons to mix in the burger and refrigerate the rest until serving.
1) 1/3 cup low-sodium Tamari Soy Sauce.
2) 3 tbs. Honey
3) 1 tbs. unseasoned Rice Vinegar
4) 1 tbs. Cornstarch
5) 1 tbs. White Wine
1) Combine the soy sauce, honey and vinegar in a saucepan and heat on low.
2) Combine the rest of the ingredients until smooth and add to the soy mixture.
3) Turn the heat to medium and stir until it thickens.
4) Turn off the heat and reserve...keeping warm.
A mixture using the Aioli
1) The 2 tablespoons of Aioli sauce that was reserved
2) 1 egg, beaten
3) 2 tablespoons sour cream
4) 1 tablespoon lime juice
5) 1 teaspoon hot Asian chili sauce
1) Whisk together all the ingredients...blending well.
1) 2 large cloves Garlic
2) ¼ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
3) 3 tbs. Olive Oil
4( 1/3 to ½ cup of low-sodium Chicken Broth or Stock
5) 1 lb. (about 1 to 2 cups) of prepared shallow-blanched Greens (see below for the
6) 1 Lemon
7) Sea Salt
1) In a large sauté pan over medium heat add garlic and red pepper flakes in the olive
oil until the garlic starts to sizzle. Add the greens and toss to coat.
2) Add 1/3 cup of broth. Then cover and cook over medium-high heat, adding more broth
during the cooking process as necessary, until the greens are tender and broth is
absorbed (about 5 minutes).
3) To serve...remove from heat, season with sea salt and squeeze lemon juice over all.
The Blanching Process
1) The Kale
2) 1 quart Water
3) 1 tsp. Salt
1) Slash down both sides of the leaf with a sharp knife. Do this with the dry kale.
A boning knife works well for this task.
2) Clean the kale after you have stemmed them by filling the sink or basin with
water and dropping the leaves into the water and swishing them thoroughly. Do this
process several times to be sure the kale has been cleaned well and no grit or dirt
residue is left over.
3) Fill large soup kettle or sauté pan with water and add salt. Bring to a boil. Add the kale.
4) Cover and cook until the kale os just tender about 7 minutes. You will have to toss the
kale in the pan until they wilt.
5) Drain in a colander, rinse kettle with cool water to cool it down, then fill with cold water
and add the kale to stop the cooking process.
6) When the kale is cool, gather a handful and squeeze water out until steady drops fall.
7) Repeat with the remaining kale. Cut each handful into medium dice and continue with
your favorite recipe.
Coconut Ice Cream with Pineapple
1) Coconut Ice Cream of your choice
2) Fresh Pineapple Sauce - The Pineapple Coulis (see recipe below)
3) A thin Ginger Cookie
1) Put a scoop of ice cream in a glass cup.
2) Drizzle the pineapple coulis on top.
3) Place a thin ginger cookie on the side.
The Pineapple Coulis
1) 2 cups fresh Pineapple
2) 2 tbs. Sugar
3) 2 tbs. Water
4) 1 tbs. fresh Lemon Juice
1) Puree until smooth.
2) You may strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing firmly.
In the Studio Kitchen with Lindsey
Gustin (left) and Marge Glier (right)