Bar & Lounge
915 E st. NW
Washington, D.C. 20004
Supachai Thirasathitwong - Sous Chef
Fresh Summer Roll with Shrimp
1) 4 Cooked Cocktail Shrimp
2) 2 Rice Paper
3) ½ bundle of Rice Noodle
4) Green leaves or Iceburg Lettuce, Mint Leaves, Basil Leaves, Bean Sprout, Cucumber, Carrot.
5) Summer Roll Sauce (see recipe below)
6) Soy Sauce
1) Remove tail from shrimp...cut shrimp in half lengthwise, set aside.
2) Soak the rice noodle with cold water until it is soft about 20 minutes. Then drain
and set aside.
3) Cook noodles in hot water until soft then add some thin soy sauce to taste.
4) Cut lettuce in small strips, remove stems from mint and basil leaves.
5) Cut carrot into strips, cook in hot water for 1 minute then set aside.
6) Option, Bean sprout, you can remove root part.
7) Cut cucumber into strip.
8) Soften rice paper in warm water until semi-soft.
9) Roll the rice paper with all the ingredients inside.
For the Summer Roll Sauce
1) 8 cloves Garlic
2) 4 fresh medium Red Chilies
3) ½ cup Sugar
4) Juice of 4 Limes
5) 1 cup of Fish Sauce
6) 2 cups Water
1) In a mortar using a pestle, pound garlic and chilies into a paste.
2) Add all remaining ingredients and stir until dissolved.
3) Alternatively, combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree.
4) When served, shred some daikon (white radish) and carrot. Put in the sauce.
Thai Seafood Salad
1) 1 cup Water
2) 1 medium Squid - cleaned and cut into ring (option)
3) 12 raw Shrimp
4) 12 Scallops
5) ½ Cucumber - cut into strip
6) 1 medium Red Onion
7) 1 Lemon Grass Stalk - finely chopped
8) 2 Kaffir Lime Leaves - finely shredded (Option)
9) 2 tbs. chopped Spring Onion
10) 2 tbs. fresh Coriander Leaves
11) 12-15 Mint Leaves - coarsely torn
12) 4 Red Chillies - seeded and cut into slivers
13) Juice of 1-2 Limes
14) 2 tbs. Thai Fish Sauce
15) Pint of Suger
1) Cook all the seafood with boiling water until tender, set aside.
2) In a serving bowl...add cucumber, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, red onion, spring
onion, coriander, mint and chillies.
3) Pour over the lime juice and fish sauce. Mix well, then add the seafood. Toss lightly.
4) Taste it, add more lime juice or fish sauce to your taste.
5) Option: you can add a bit of sugar to taste.
1) 1 tbs. Garlic
2) 1 tbs. Chilies - chopped into small pieces.
3) 2 tbs. Oil
4) 2 tbs. of Black Soy Sauce
5) 2 tbs. of Oyster Sauce
6) 1 tbs. of thin Soy Sauce
7) 12-15 Basil Leaves
8) 10-12 finely chopped String Bean
9) 1 lbs. Ground Chicken
1) Place oil in a pan then put in garlic and chiliís...stir frequently for 30 seconds.
2) Add Ground chicken, stir until all chicken is half cooked.
3) Add black soy sauce, thin soy sauce, oyster sauce, basil leaves mixed well with chicken.
4) Add in the chopped string bean, cook for 20 second then serve with steamed Jasmin rice.
In the Studio Kitchen with Lindsey Gustin (left)
and Supachai Thirasathitwong (right)