Dodie’s Diner Healthy Cooking with Kids
Marge Glier - Proprietor (left) and Lindsey Gustin (right)
Apple. Carrot, Craisin &
Salad with Coconut Dressing
1) One 10 oz. Package of Shredded Carrots
2) 2 Green Apples -cored and diced
3) 1 cup dried Cranberries (Craisins)
4) The Dressing (see recipe below)
5) 1 cup Almonds or Walnuts - chopped coarsely
6) ½ cup unsweetened Coconut Flakes
1) Combine apples, carrots, dried cranberries and almonds (or walnuts) in a bowl.
2) Pour the dressing over the salad and mix lightly.
3) Top with the coconut flakes and combine.
1) 2 tbs. Honey
2) 1 cup Mayonnaise
3) 4 tbs. Vanilla Coconut Milk (from ½ Gallon carton used for the Smoothie)
1) Mix all the ingredients together.
Mini Whole Grain Pita Pocket
with Egg Salad & and Crunchy Sprouts
The Egg Salad
1) 6 Large Eggs
2) ¼ cup Mayonnaise
3) ¼ tsp. Paprika
4) ¼ tsp. Salt
1) Place the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with water until it is one inch higher
than the eggs and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2) Once the eggs have come to a boil, turn off the heat and set the timer for 15 minutes.
3) Remove the saucepan from the heat and place it in the sink, drain the hot water and
run cold water over the eggs in the pan until they cool to touch. You may also add a
handful of ice cubes to the water. Wait until the eggs cool enough to handle then;
4) Peel eggs. Start by cracking the large end on the counter and roll around to loosen
the shell. Sometimes it is easier to peel the egg under the water in the pan. Rinse off
any remaining shell(s).
5) Place eggs on cutting board and chop in half and then dice in smaller pieces. An egg
slicer works well too. Slice one way, then turn and slice across to make the dice.
6) Blend mayonnaise and paprika and add to eggs, salt to taste.
The Pita Pockets
1) Mini Whole Grain Pita Pockets or Mini Whole Wheat Pita Pockets
The Chive Mayonnaise
1) ½ cup of Mayonnaise
2) 2 heaping tbs. chopped fresh Chives
3) 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1) Combine all the ingredients.
The Condiments (Choose from the following)
1) Seedless Cucumber - sliced ¼ inch thick
2) Bread & Butter Pickles (Chips)
3) Sliced Red Pepper
4) Black Olives
5) Sunflower Seeds
6) Chopped Tomatoes
The Final Preparation:
1) Make a slit on one end of the pita pocket for “Pac Man” or cut straight through
for the Flying Saucer!
2) Spread a coating of Chive mayonnaise on the inside of the pita pocket.
3) Add eggs salad and all the condiments of your choice.
4) Top with sprouts.
Tropical Sunshine Smoothie
1) 1 cup fresh Pineapple chunks - sliced
2) 1 cup fresh Strawberries - sliced
3) 1 or 2 Bananas
4) 1/2 cup Vanilla Coconut Milk (found in the natural foods section of the supermarket in ½ a
gallon carton like regular milk)
5) 1 tbs. Honey
1) Combine all of the ingredients and add a handful of ice cubes, or more if desired.
2) Blend on high until smooth and serve with a garnish of fresh strawberry and/or
3) Add crazy straws and umbrellas for fun!
In the Studio Kitchen with Lindsey
Gustin (right) and Marge Glier (left)