1100 New York Ave. NW
One block North of the Metro Center,
at the corner of 12th and H Street.
Washington DC 20005
Carmine Marzano - Chef/Owner
Grigliata di Vegetali con Gamberetti
(Mixed Vegetables with Sautéed Baby Shrimp)
1) 1 Eggplant - cut ¼ inch thick
2) 1 Zucchini - cut ¼ inch thick
3) 1 Fennel
4) 2 Asparagus
5) 4 Tomatoes - sliced thick
6) 1 Yellow Pepper - cut in four pieces
7) 1 Red Bell Pepper - cut in four pieces
8) 2 cloves of Garlic - sliced
9) 1 teaspoon of chopped Parsley
10) 18 oz. of Baby Shrimp - cleaned and gutted
11) 4 oz. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
12) Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Heat the grill to a medium heat.
2) Salt and pepper the vegetables 15 minutes before you will grill them. This will extract
the extra water.
3) Grill them on both sides and set them aside in a warm place.
4) Preheat a sauté pan to a medium heat.
5) Add the oil then add the sliced garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes.
6) Salt and pepper to taste.
1) Put the grilled vegetables on four plates and divide the shrimp evenly on the vegetables.
2) Sprinkle with parsley and extra virgin olive oil.
Tonno con la Caponata
(Tuna with Vegetables)
1) 4 fresh Tuna Steaks (6 oz each)
2) 2 medium Carrots
3) 4 stalks of Celery
4) 1 big Eggplant
5) 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
6) 1 Red Bell Pepper
7) 2 oz. of Capers
8) 1 oz. of pitted Black Olives (Kalamata)
9) 5 Garlic Cloves - smashed
10) 4 fl. oz. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
11) Salt and fresh Pepper to taste for the Vegetables
(For the vegetables)
1) Clean and cut all the vegetables on cubes.
2) Preheat a sautéed pan to a medium heat.
3) Add the olive oil and one smashed garlic clove.
4) Let it cook for about 30 seconds and then add the cubed carrot and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Add salt and pepper to the vegetables in a colander and drain all of the extra oil.
6) Repeat with the rest of the vegetables.
7) When all of the vegetables are cooked, mix everything together.
For the tuna:
1) Preheat a sauté pan to a medium high heat.
2) Add the olive oil, and then sauté the tuna for about one minute to each side, making
sure the tuna is rare.
1) Place in the middle plate two spoonfuls of warm caponata and slice the tuna on top
2) Garnish with the same cherry tomato and sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil.
Stuffed Squid with Shrimp
1) 2 lb. Squid - cleaned and separated into tentacles and bodies
2) ½ cup of Breadcrumbs
3) 2 tablespoons of chopped Parsley
4) ½ pound of Shrimp - cleaned
5) 2 cloves of Garlic - minced
6) ½ cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7) 1 lb. of cleaned baby Shrimp
8) 1 tablespoon of Pine Nuts
9) 1 lb. of fresh Tomato - skinless and seedless and cut in cubes
10) 2 teaspoons of Basil
11) Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2) Finely chop the squid tentacles and place them in a food processor.
3) Add the breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, olive oil, half of the spinach and shrimp.
4) Process until a smooth filling forms adding more olive oil if it is too dry.
5) Season with salt and pepper.
6) Spoon the filling into the squid bodies with the help of a pastry bag.
7) Then close the open end with a toothpick.
8) In a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
9) Add the squid and cook until browned about 4 minutes.
10) Add the garlic and let it cook for one minute.
11) Add the tomato, basil and pepper.
12) Place the skillet in the oven and bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
13) Add the tomato, basil and pepper.
14) Place skillet in the oven and bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
15) If the squid looks too dry, add some water to the skillet.
16) Serve over the remaining spinach.
Lindsey and Chef Carmine Marzano at the
"Luigino's Taste of Venice Cooking Class"