4629 41st. Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20016
Ida Khuluki - Owner
Eggplant Imam Bayildi
1) 2 small Eggplants
2) 1 Tomato
3) 1 medium Onion
4) 6 Garlic Cloves
5) 1/2 Green Pepper
6) dash of Salt
7) dash of All Spice
8) dash of Red Pepper
9) 1/2 Lemon
10) 2 tbs. Tomato Paste
11) 1/2 cup Water
12) 1 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
13) 3 branches Parsley
1) Cut the stems off the eggplants. Peel off strips of the eggplant skin at 1-inch
intervals to make a stripped effect. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise.
Make a deep lengthwise slit along the fresh side of the eggplant, making sure
you don't puncture the skin.
2) Chop tomato into medium cubes. Peel garlic and pound. Chop onions finely.
Chop green pepper into small cubes. Squeeze the lemon.
3) Heat oil in a skillet and deep fry the eggplants until the skin is brown - about
3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4) In a separate skillet add one tablespoon vegetable oil. Heat it and saute the
onions, chopped peppers, and half of the garlic. After 5 minutes, add the
tomato paste. Stir it for 2 minutes then add water, red pepper, salt, and the
all spice. Saute another 5 minutes and top off with the squeezed lemon and
and the other half of the garlic to the sauce.
5) Grease a large baking pan. Open the eggplants somewhat flat, and stuff them
with the sauteed vegetable mix. Wedge them into the pan closing them a
little. Top with tomato. Cover and bake in a pre-heated oven at 450 degrees f.
for 20 minutes. Cool in the pan.
6) Garnish with parsley. Serve at room temperature or hot.
1) 2 cups plain Yogurt
2) 2 cups Chicken Broth
3) 1 Egg
4) 2 tbs. Rice
5) 6 cloves Garlic
6) 1/2 tsp. Salt
7) 1/2 tsp. Mint
8) 1/2 cup cooked Chickpeas
9) 2 tbs. Corn Starch
10) 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper
11) 2 tbs. Vegetable Oil
1) Mix yogurt, egg, chicken broth, rice, and salt. Cook while stirring and bring
to a boil. Add cornstarch, half of the smashed garlic, mint, and cooked
chickpeas. Bring to a boil while stirring. Move the soup off the heat.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a skillet and caramelize the garlic. Turn off heat and
then add red pepper on top of the oil and garlic. Pour this mixture on top of
the soup as a garnish.
1) 1 lb. Ground Beef
2) 4 tbs. cooked White Rice
3) 4 Eggs
4) 1/4 tsp. Salt
5) 1/2 tsp. All Spice
6) 1 Onion - medium (finely chopped)
7) 1 tsp. finely chopped Dill
8) 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
9) 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1) Mix meat, rice, all spice, salt, onion, dill and two egg yolks in a large bowl.
2) Take egg-sized pieces of the mixture and form into oval shapes and flatten.
3) Scramble 2 eggs. Dip each ball into the scrambled egg and then dip in bread
4) Place on a tray in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes.
5) Fry in vegetable oil and serve warm.