Owner Gail Naftalin...Right
Assistant Carrie Megginson...Left
Green Beans, Pears and Pecans
in Lime Miso Dressing
1) 3 Limes (zest of 1 and juice of all)
2) 3 1/2 tbs. (or to taste) Maple Syrup
3) 2 1/2 tbs. Sweet White Miso
4) 1/4 tsp. (or to taste) Black pepper
5) 1/3 cup Canola Oil
6) 1 lb. Green Beans
7) 1 Green Pear - slightly underripe
8) ¼ cup broken Pecan Meats
1) Zest and squeeze the limes.
2) Using zest of only one lime, thoroughly mix all ingredients except
3) Add oil in a slow stream (if using blender) or in small batches if whisking
4) Top and tail a pound of green beans. Cook them in 4 quarts of
rapidly boiling, heavily salted water until they're emerald green and
still slightly crisp.
5) Slice one not quite ripe green pear as thinly as possible after peeling
and coring it. Soak the pear slices in 1/4 cup of the lime-miso dressing
for at least ½ hour.
6) Toss the green beans, pear slices and 1/4 cup of coarsely broken pecan
meats together with any juice/dressing from the macerated pear.
7) Serve as is, or on a bed of greens.
8) Assemble this at the last moment, or the green beans will have turned
khaki before they come to the table.
Acorn Squash Stuffed
with Romany Melange
1) 1 tbs. Olive Oil
2) 1 large Onion - chopped (approx. 1 cup)
3) 1 large clove Garlic - chopped
4) 1/2 large stalk Celery - chopped (approx. 1/4 cup)
5) 1 cup Sweet Potatoes or Winter Squash - chopped
6) 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
7) 1 Bay Leaf
8) 1 tsp. Paprika
9) 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
10) 1/2 tsp. Basil
11) 1/4 tsp. (or to taste) Sea Salt
12) 1 dash Cinnamon
13) 1 dash Cayenne
14) 1/2 cup Tomatoes - chopped
15) 1/2 cup Greens - chopped
16) 3/4 cups Chickpeas - cooked
17) 1/2 tsp. Tamari
18) 5 Acorn Squash
1) In a saucepan, heat the oil, and sauté the onions, garlic, celery, and sweet
potatoes or winter squash for about 5 minutes.
2) Add the stock, bay leaf, paprika, turmeric, basil, salt, cinnamon, and
cayenne. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot, and
simmer for about 15 minutes.
3) Add the tomatoes, greens and chickpeas, and simmer for about 10 minutes
longer. Stir in the tamari and correct seasoning.
4) To prepare the squash for stuffing: cut them in half, remove seeds and oil
them on their cut sides. Place them flat side down on a cookie sheet and
bake at 375°C for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and fit into a pan(s)
with deeper sides that will fit them closely.
5) Bake these for another 25-30 minutes at 350°F , or until the squash is
slightly caramelized around the edges and is easily pierced with a fork.
Here to go to