Owner Gail Naftalin...Right
Assistant Carrie Megginson...Left
Turkish Grape Leaves
1) 1½ cups Brown Rice - cooked
2) ¾ cup Red Lentils - sorted, rinsed, cooked and drained
3) 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
4) 1 cup Red Onion - finely chopped
5) ¼ cup Raisins (43 grams)
6) ¼ cup dried Apricots - finely chopped
7) 3 grams fresh Mint Leaves - finely chopped
8) 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
9) ¼ teaspoon Allspice
10) 3 grams Salt - to taste
11) 1½ grams freshly ground Black Pepper
12) 42 Grape Leaves - rinsed and drained
13) 1¼ cups Tomato Stock or Juice
14) 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
15) 3 tbsp. Lemon Juice
16) 3 tbsp. Rice Wine
17) Lemon slices and Mint Leaves for garnish
1) Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add
the onion and cook 'til soft, about five minutes. Remove from the
heat and add the raisins, apricots, mint, cinnamon and allspice.
Stir in the rice and lentils; season with salt and pepper.
2) Fill grape leaves with about two teaspoons per leaf. Put the leaves,
seam side down on a cookie sheet.
3) Mix the tomato stock, olive oil, lemon juice and rice wine in a
measuring cup and pour over the grape leaves. Cover with an
inverted cookie sheet and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Cool slowly,
with the top cookie sheet in place.
4) Garnish with lemon slices and mint.
5) These will keep in the refrigerator for 10-12 days.
Black Bean Burrito Canapes
(Yield : 33 mini-burritos)
1) Cut larger tortillas into quarters and smaller chapatis into thirds.
2) Spread each piece with about 1 Tbsp. refried black beans, 2-3 orange
segments and a few leaves of cilantro.
3) Roll up and secure end with a bit of bean mixture.
4) Serve with salsa of your choice.
(Yield two cups)
1) 2-1/4 lb. Onion - coarsely chopped
2) 10 oz Garlic -coarsely chopped
3) 14 oz. Kosher Salt
4) 1 1/2 Leeks - washed & coarsely chopped
5) 1/2 bunch Parsley - stems discarded
6) 1/2 bunch Basil - stems discarded
7) 1/2 bunch Scallions - coarsely chopped (all parts)
1) Put all ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
2) Working in batches, add the mixture to a food processor and
process until smooth.
3) Transfer the batches to a large bowl and combine until the entire
mixture is smooth.
4) Transfer to resealable containers, cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 months.
Here to go to