Lindsey Gustin and Chef Jacques Van Staden
Tuna Tartar with a Kaffir
Lime and Melon Reduction
Ingredients for Tuna per one
1) 1/2 cup Tuna #1 - Dice cubes
2) 1/2 tsp. Red Onion - Brunoise
3) 1/2 pc. Kaffir Leaves - Julienne
4) 1 tsp. Chives - Chopped
5) 1 tsp. Lemon Olive Oil
6) 1 tsp. Tomato - Brunoise
7) 1 tsp. Hazelnut Oil
8) 1/2 tsp. Caper - chopped
9) 1 tbl. Aloo Bijua
10)Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients for Sauce:
1) 4 pc. Honey Dew
2) 2 pc Cantaloupe
3) 1 pc. Vanilla pod and Seeds
4) 1 qt. Orange Juice
5) 3 pc. Lemon Juice
Method for Tuna:
1) In one bowl place the tuna and the lemon oil with
salt and pepper and mix well.
2) In another bowl place the rest of the ingredients
with the lemon juice, mix well and set aside.
Method for the Sauce:
1) Peel and cube the melons and pass through a juicer
into a pot.
2) Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, place on
stove, and reduce to syrup consistency.
3) Remove and strain sauce through a cheesecloth, set
aside in another container.
4) Place the sauce in the refrigerator and keep cold.
1) Place a ring mold in the center of the plate and place
half of the tuna on the bottom of the ring.
2) Then place the vegetable mixture in the middle and
place the other half of the tuna on top.
3) Remove the ring mold and then place some of the
baby salad on top of the tuna.
4) Spoon the sauce around the tuna and then serve.
Seafood Nage with
Lemon and Fennel
Ingredients for Seafood:
1) 2 pc. Mussels - in shell
2) 4 pc. Cockles - in shell
3) 1 pc. Razor Clams - in shell
4) 1 pc. Scallop - out shell
5) 1 pc. Shrimp - cleaned deveined
6) 1 pc. Cuttle Fish
7) 2 pc. Oyster - out shell
Ingredients for Broth:
1) 1 cup Blended Oil
2) 8 each shallots - chopped
3) 6 cloves Garlic - chopped
4) 20 pc. Mussels
5) 5 pc. Lemon Grass - chopped
6) 1 cup Ginger - chopped
7) 1 cup Tomato Paste
8) 6 pc. Kaffir Leaves
9) Pinch Saffron Threads
10)1 btl. White Wind
11)4 can Clam Juice
12)2 qt. Fish Stock
13)1 can Coconut Milk
14)2 sprig Thyme Whole
Ingredients for Papad:
1) 8 cups Vegetable Oil
2) 20 each Papads
3) Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients for Fennel:
1) 10 pc. Baby Fennel - cut in four
2) 1/2 lb. Butter
3) Cover - Fish Stock
4) Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Pinch Lemon Confit - julienne
2) Pinch Kaffir Leaves - cut very thin
3) 3 pc. Oven roasted Tomato
4) 1 pc. Fried Papad with Lobster Roe
5) Chervil - picked leaves
Method for Cooking Seafood:
1) Season scallop and shrimp, start to saute in a hot
2) In another hot casserole, add the oil, shallots and
butter, then add the mussels, cockles, and clams.
Then add the fish stock and cover the casserole
and steam until open.
3) When open, add the shucked oysters, do not let the
liquid boil, and just keep warm on the side.
4) At the last minute, season the cuttlefish and place
on the grill and cook until done.
Method for the Sauce:
1) In a casserole, sweat the shallots, garlic, lemon grass,
ginger, mussels, kaffir leaves, and saffron until
tender, no color.
2) Then add the white wine and reduce to almost dry...
followed by the fish stock, coconut milk and thyme.
3) Simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes and strain
through a chinoise into assigned container and set
Method for the Papads:
1) Heat vegetable oil in a casserole and fry the papads,
so it puffs and expands, when expanded, remove and
place in the assigned container.
2) Season with salt and pepper.
1) Strain the juice from the mussels and clams into the
casserole with the sauce and take the sauce and zap
2) Spoon the sauce in the plate and then start placing
the seafood on the plate, scallop in the center with all
the shellfish and mollusk around.
3) Then sprinkle with a few julienne pieces of the kaffir
leaves and the fennel, also place three pieces of the
tomato around the plate and sprinkle the papad with
the lobster roe and place in center with the scallop.
4) Place some of the baby chervil on top of the scallop
and sprinkle with lemon oil and rock salt.
5) Then serve to the customer.
Chef Jacques Van Staden's
Strawberry Chocolate Jaffle