1) Lightly butter a 10x17-inch baking pan and then
line with parchment paper.
2) In an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment,
combine 4 large eggs and 2/3 cup granulated sugar.
3) Mix at high speed until light, fluffy and pale yellow,
about 5 minutes.
4) Remove the bowl from the mixer, whisk in 1 tsp.
vanilla, and slowly fold in 1 cup sifted, all-purpose
flour. Fold only until combined.
5) Pour the mixture in the baking pan and spread evenly
to cover the surface.
6) Bake immediately in a preheated 400 degree oven for
10 minutes, or until a light golden color.
7) Remove from the oven and place a damp tea towel
over the surface to keep cake moist. Set Aside.
1) In an electric mixer with the whish attachment,
combine 5 egg yolks with 3/4 cup powdered sugar.
2) Mix at high speed until light and fluffy.
3) Drop the speed to low and add 12 tbs. softened
unsalted butter, piece by piece, until well-combined.
4) Toast 1/4 cup walnuts in a preheated 325 deg oven
until golden brown and let cool to room temperature.
5) Grind the walnuts and add 1 tsp. vanilla to the butter
mixture. Set aside.
1) In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and
1/4 cup water and bring to a boil.
2) Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3) Add 1 tbs. Kirsch and mix. Set aside.
1) Pour 1/2 cup whipping cream into a saucepan and
bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2) Remove from the heat.
3) Add the chocolate pieces to the cream and let it sit
until the chocolate is melted, stirring the pan
occasionally. Set aside to thicken.
1) Remove the parchment from the Genoise roll, trim
the edges and set the trimmings aside.
2) Using a pastry brush, spread the Kirsch syrup on
top of the cake. Let the syrup soak for a minute
3) Spread the butter cream evenly over the roll and
sprinkle with 1/2 cup fresh raspberries.
4) Carefully roll the filled cake (use the tea towel to
help you) to form a log.
5) Coat the exterior with the thickened ganache.
6) The tree bark effect can be achieved by pulling a
fork down the length of the frosting..
7) Use the cake trimmings to form a "knot" on the
8) The Buche de Noel can be decorated with sugared
fruits, meringue mushrooms, chocolate holly
leaves, cranberries or raspberries.
9) Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
La Madeleine Seven Grain Stuffing
1) 1/4 lb. (one stick) unsalted butter.
2) 1 medium onion, diced.
3) 2 cloves garlic, minced.
4) 1/4 cup red apples, diced.
5) 1/8 cup celery, diced.
6) 1/2 lb. buttoned mushrooms, sliced thin.
7) 1/4 lb. raw bacon, diced.
8) 1 lb. old seven grain bread, diced.
9) 3 cups chicken broth.
10)2 tbs. diced oregano
11)Sea salt to taste.
12)Ground black pepper to taste.
1) Place all but 1 tsp. butter into a skillet.
2) Add the onions, garlic, apples, and celery.
Cook over medium heat...stirring while
the onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
3) Add the mushrooms and bacon...and simmer
until the mushrooms have released some of
their liquid and the bacon is cooked (3 to 4
4) With the remaining tbs. of butter, coat a
medium sized baking pan, and place the
stuffing in it.
5) Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the
stuffing is soft (about 35 minutes).
6) Remove the foil and continue baking until the
stuffing is crisp and golden on top (another
7) Remove from oven and serve. Serves 8.