Brian Ng, Bunny Palmer, and Lindsey Gustin
Ham and Potato Gratin
1) 2 cups Heavy Cream
2) 1 cup Half-and-Half
3) 1 clove garlic, minced
4) 2 tsp. Salt
5) 2 1/2 lbs. Red Potatoes, sliced 1/8" thick
6) 3/4 lb. ham, diced into 3/4'' cubes
7) 1-1/2 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated
8) Ground Pepper to Taste
1) Combine the cream, half-and-half, garlic, salt
and pepper in a large saucepan.
2) Add the sliced potatoes and stir well to completely
coat them with the cream mixture.
3) Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or
until the potatoes are tender.
4) Gently stir in the diced ham. Do not let the potatoes
5) When the potatoes are tender, adjust the seasonings
and pour into a 8x10-inch baking dish.
6) Sprinkle with the cheese and bake in the center of a
preheated 425 deg. oven until golden on top and the
potatoes are completely tender, about 20 minutes.
(Adapted from Les Recettes de la Saison,
by la Madeleine chefs and
compiled by Susan Hermann Loomis to be published October 1999.)
Breads and Deserts from La Madeleine