Chef Allison Swope
1) Spread clean mushroom tops and stems on cookie
sheet, lightly brush with 1/2 cup of the walnut oil.
Roast in a pre-heated 350 deg oven for approximately
20 minutes. Cool. Slice thinly and reserve.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix the cheeses, garlic and
herbs thoroughly. Reserve.
3) Lay 1 sheet in the bottom of a 9"x 12" baking pan,
folding the edges of the pastry to fit the pan. (You
can actually use any side pan, as long as it is oven
proof). Brush lightly with walnut oil and sprinkle a
few tablespoons of the walnuts. Repeat this process
three times. At this point spread half of the reserved
mushroom slices, being careful to drain of any excess
juice first. Repeat the pastry-nut process three more
times. This time spread half the reserved cheese
mixture evenly over the pastry. (You don't actually
have to spread the cheese...as deposit small blobs as
evenly as possible across the dough). Repeat the
entire process 1 more time, using all your remaining
ingredients, except for a few tablespoons of nuts.
4) Finish the baklava with a final brushing of walnut oil
and sprinkling of nuts.
5) Bake in a 350 deg oven for approximately 30 minutes
or until golden brown on top.
6) Cool slightly before cutting.
7) Serve as a first course with a small watercress salad or
as a light luncheon.