"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
ATI Culinary School
Gary Michael Grossman
Falls Church, Va.
1) 2 large cloves garlic (or 2-4 tablespoons
2) 1 large onion, chopped to 1/4 inch dice
3) 2 tablespoons olive oil
4) 2 pounds tomatoes (6 medium) or one 28 ounce
tomatoes in heavy puree
5) 1 six-ounce can tomato paste
6) 1-4 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
7) 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
8) 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
9) 1/2 teaspoon salt
10) 1/2 teaspoon each dried (crushed) basil, parsley,
11) 1 teaspoon pepper
12) 1 large bay leaf
13) 1 four-ounce can sliced mushrooms
14) Hot cooked pasta (any macaroni product)
1) Peel and mince the garlic.
2) In a 3-quart saucepan cook the garlic and onion
oil until onionis tender/opaque.
3) Peel fresh tomatoes or empty 28-ounce can into
4) Core fresh tomatoes; cut up tomatoes and add to
5) Add the tomato paste, sugar, bouillon granules,
salt, basil, pepper,
parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme,
savory, and bay leaf.
6) Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered,
for 1 1/4 to
1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the
7) Stir in the undrained mushrooms; simmer 15 to 30
more or until sauce is the
8) Serve over hot cooked macaroni; add grated parmesan
cheese, if desired.