Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 90 minutes
Equipment: fine strainer, 6-quart casserole, 2 1/2-quart saucepan
1) 3 lbs boneless lamb (shoulder or lamb leg cut in med cubes)
2) 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3) 4 large tomatoes, chopped
4) 1 bouquet of garni (parsley, thyme and bay leaf)
5) 3 cloves garlic
6) 1 large onion
7) 1 bunch carrots
8) 4 large potatoes
9) 1 lb green peas (fresh, shelled)
10) 3 tbsp flour
11) 2 tbsp unsalted butter
12) salt and pepper to taste
1) Add lamb cubes to very hot oil stirring once or twice.
Let the meat brown for 3 to 4 minutes.
2) Add garlic, onion, bouquet garni, tomato, salt and
pepper to the lamb base. (Cook for 5 more minutes).
3) Add water, bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer
4) Add carrots (cook for 5 more minutes), add potatoes
(cook for 30 minutes). Add roux and peas.
Equipment: 6-quart saucepan or small stock pot, 8-inch skillet
1) 6 small or 3 large leeks
2) 4 large onions, peeled and chopped
3) 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided use
4) 1 rib celery, chopped
5) 4 med potatoes (1 1/2 lbs) peeled and sliced
6) 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, and Bay leaf tied together)
7) 1 tsp beef base
8) 8 cups water
9) Salt and pepper to taste
10)Thyme, parsley, or chervil for garnish
1) Trim 2 inches of green parts of leeks, and discard.
Slice into 3/8-inch rounds, separate green and white parts.
Wash thoroughly in a strainer.
2) In a large suacepan over med heat, brown onions and green
parts of leeks in 2 tbsps of olive oil. Add celery, potatoes,
and bouquet garni. Stir well and reduce heat to low.
3) Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a ssmall skillet and cook white
parts of leeks until just browned. Add water to cover
vegetables (about 8 cups) and simmer for 30 minutes.
4) Remove bouquet garni. Mash potatoes. Slightly on the
bottom of the pan, stir well. Season to taste with salt and
pepper and Garnish with thyme, parsley, or chervil.