Embassy of Finland
Washington, DC 20008
Chef de Cuisine Kim H. Palhus
Ingredients for the Cured
1) 1 lb. beef tenderloin
2) 2 oz. coarse salt
3) 1 oz. sugar
4) 10 crushed juniper berries
5) 10 whole black pepper corns
6) 1/2 fl. oz. Finlandia Vodka
7) 3 crushed bay leaves
Preparation of the Cured Beef:
1) Crunch the pepper corns, juniper berries and bay
leaves roughly and mix with the salt and sugar.
2) Carefully remove all fat and muscle sheat from the
fillet. Roll the fillet in the mixture, pressing it
3) Pour the vodka into a stainless steel or porcelain
dish and add the fillet.
4) Freeze the meat before cutting it into the thinnest
5) Place slices around chanterelle tartar.
Note: do not use beef that has lot of fat in the meat.
Ingredients for the Chanterelle
1) 10 oz. dried chanterelles
2) 15 oz. butter
3) Salt and white pepper freshly grounded
4) 1/2 fl. oz. madeira
5) 1/2 fl. oz. red portwine
6) 2 fl. oz. dark basic sauce
7) 2 tablespoons sour cream
8) 2 tablespoons shopped chives
9) 1 small cucumber, parsley or chive flower
Preparation of the Chanterelle
1) Put chanterelle to pot and simmer 20 minutes,
covered. Refrigerate for two day.
2) Melt the butter in the frying pan and let it brown
a little. Fry diced chanterelles so they get dry and
add salt and white pepper.
3) Add reduced chanterelle broth and chives. Add
portwine, madeira and basic sauce to the chanterelles
and boil the mixture so that it comes thick.
4) Place mixture in the middle of the plate using round
form. Place cured beef fillet slices around the
tartar and decorate top of tartar with slices of
cucumber and parsley.
1) Soak crisp bread in fish broth about 10 minutes
or until they are tender to turn.
2) Cut the salmon fillet to eight 1/2 inch wide slices.
3) Season with salt and white pepper.
4) Place the bread slices on top and form into roll.
5) Oil lightly and place the tournedo in the smoking
box. Smoke about 15 minutes in medium
6) Make thin slices from carrots and zuccinis for the
net by using potato peeler.
7) Boil slices 2 minutes and soak in cold water.
8) Make a net from slices so it looks a like chess board.
9) Cut carrots and zuchhinis to cubes and glace in the
butter until tender.
10) Season with salt and herbes de provencale.
11) Cool mixture and add egg whites, blend well.
12) Place mixture on the net in oiled timbale and close
with aluminium foil.
13) Place timbale to simmering water and let it simmer
for 15 minutes.
14) Peel beetroots and boil them in water with vinegar.
15) Puree cooked beetroots evenly. (You can make this
a day ahead).
16) Place egg yolks in stainless steel bowl and set it on
hot water bath.
17) Peel potatoes and make few potato waffles by using
"mandoline" and fry them in hot oil, set aside.
18) Place smoked salmon tournedo on the side of the
plate and turn timbale on the other side.
19) Pour sabayonne sauce in the middle of the plate so
it runs on the both sides.
20) Decorate tournedo with potato waffles, fresh dill,
place fleuron on side.
1) Mix cream and sugar together, boil mixture until it
come thick and brown. Stir mixture during the boiling.
2) Take cranberries from the freezer about 10 minutes
3) Pour powdered sugar on a large platter and roll
cranberries until sugar covers the berries so that they
are all white.
4) Place berries to the serving bowl and serve with hot
caramel cream sauce.