Roast Marinated Duck with
and Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette
(Yield 4 servings)
Ingredients for the Duck:
1) 1 whole duck (about 5 lb.)
2) salt and pepper
3) 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
4) 1 cup olive oil
5) 1 cup red wine
6) 2 medium oranges
Ingredients for the Salad:
1) 16 oz. mixed greens (such as frisee, red oak, radicchio,
2) 4 large ripened Roma tomatoes
3) 1/4 cup olive oil
4) 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
5) 1 tablespoon honey
6) 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
7) salt to taste
8) 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, oregano, and parsley, chopped
1) Wash the duck in cold water, pat dry, then remove all fat.
2) Cut the duck in half along the backbone and the breast.
3) To prepare the marinade...in a pan place olive oil, red wine,
and chopped garlic.
4) Cut the oranges in four segments, and squeeze the juice
into the marinade mixture. Then place the rest of the
oranges in the mixture and stir.
5) Rub the duck with salt and pepper and place in the
marinade for about 2 hours. (It can be marinated in the
6) Take the duck out of the marinade mixture and place on
a roasting pan.
7) Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour.
8) Take out of the oven and drain all the fat. Set aside and
9) To prepare the dressing, pour the balsamic vinegar, honey,
cracked black pepper, salt, pepper, and the fresh herbs
into an electric mixer. Mix at a medium speed.
10) Slowly add the olive oil to emulsify for about 1 minute.
Store in refrigerator.
11) Prepare salad by tearing the leaves in bite size. Wash the
greens and pat dry with paper towel or use a salad spinner.
1) Place about 4 oz. of greens on a plate.
2) Cut each duck in two.
3 Take out the breast bones and the second joint from the
legs and the wings; you will end up with one bone for each
4) Slice the meat in an angle to make thin slices.
5) Place part of the meat with the bone next to the salad
greens and fan thesliced duck meat in front of it.
6) Drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette and garnish with sliced
Seared Arctic Charr with
(Yield 12 portions)
Ingredients for the Fish:
1) 4.5 lb. Arctic Charr fillets (cut into 6 oz. fillets) Or use
your favorite fish
2) 2 tablespoons olive oil
3) 2 tablespoons lomon juice
4) 1 cup all purpose flour
5) salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Sauce:
1) Liquid from the fish
2) 1 cup champagne
3) 4 tablespoons orange juice
4) 2 tablepoons lime juice
5) 1 tablespoon lemon juice
6) 1 cup heavy cream
7) 1 cup unsalted butter (cubed)
8) Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Preparation for the Fish:
1) Cut fillets into twelve 6 oz. portions.
2) Place fillets on a sheet pan, season with salt and pepper,
and sprinkle withlemon juice.
3) Dust each fillet with flour.
4) Pour the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a hot saute pan
and sear the fillets for 2 to 3 minutes turning once.
5) Set aside and keep warm.
Preparation for the Sauce:
1) Combine the cooking liquid from the fish with
champagne, orange,and lemon juice.
2) Reduce quickly until the liquid is nearly evaporated.
3) Pour in the heavy cream and reduce by half.
4) Whisk in the butter cubes and finish the sauce with the
1 tablespoonlemon juice.