"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Linton - Certified Chef Instructor (left)
Kirk Wiles - CEO and Founder Paradise Springs Winery (right)
13219 Yates Ford Rd.
Clifton, Virgiinia 20124
Grilled Steak, Vegetable, and Quinoa
Salad with Yogurt-Tahini Dressing
1) 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, sliced lengthwise into 1/4" planks, fronds
reserved for serving
2) 1 pint cherry tomatoes
3) 12 scallions, roots trimmed (about 2 bunches)
4) Olive oil (for brushing)
5) 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more
6) 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more
7) 1/2 pound Halloumi cheese, sliced into 1/4" planks (optional)
8) 1 pound flank or skirt steak
9) 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
10) Quinoa Salad (see recipe below)
11) Yogurt Dressing (see recipe below)
1) Prepare a grill or grill pan for medium-high heat.
2) Brush fennel, tomatoes, and scallions with oil and season with 1/2 tsp. salt
and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
3) Grill, turning occasionally, until tender and charred in spots, 10–15 minutes;
4) If using Halloumi cheese, brush with oil and grill, turning occasionally, until
charred and warmed through, about 2 minutes per side.
5) Meanwhile, rub steak with cumin, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and remaining
1/2 tsp. pepper.
6) Grill until medium-rare, 5–7 minutes per side for flank steak, about 2 minutes
per side for skirt steak.
7) Let rest, then thinly slice against the grain.
8) Transfer quinoa salad to a large platter.
9) Top with grilled vegetables and steak.
10) Season with additional salt and pepper and top with fennel fronds.
11) Serve immediately with yogurt dressing alongside.
The Quinoa Salad
1) 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2) 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3) 1 teaspoon honey
4) 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5) 2 cups cooked quinoa
6) 1 cup cooked French lentils
7) 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
8) 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1) Whisk oil, vinegar, honey, and salt in a large bowl.
2) Add quinoa, lentils, dill, and oregano and stir to combine.
3) Set aside.
The Yogurt Dressing
1) 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2) 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3) 3 tablespoons tahini
4) 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5) 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1) Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, tahini, oil, salt, and 1 tbs. water in a small bowl.
2) Set aside. The yogurt dressing can be chilled for up to 3 days so often it
is best to do ahead.
Forbidden Rice Salad with
1) 1 1/2 cup cooked forbidden black rice
Thai Coconut-Lime Dressing
2) 10 ounces poached chicken breast, shredded
3) 2 small Persian cucumbers, diced
4) 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
5) 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
6) 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
7) 1 cup snap peas, cut thinly on the bias
8) 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
9) 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
10) Thai Coconut-Lime Dressing (see recipe below)
1) Divide the rice equally between two bowls.
2) Divide the rest of the toppings in half and arrange on top of the rice.
3) Drizzle with desired amount of dressing, toss, and enjoy!
For the Thai Coconut-Lime Dressing
1) Juice of 1 lime (about 1/4 cup)
2) 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce, preferably Red Boat
3) 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
4) 1 tablespoon palm sugar, or light brown sugar
5) Zest of 1 lime (about 1 to 2 tablespoons)
6) 2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
7) 1/2 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
8) 1 garlic clove, minced
9) 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
10) 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1) Whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, coconut milk, and palm sugar in a small
bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
2) Add the remaining dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
3) Set aside.
Grilled Sockeye Salmon with
Summer Stone Fruit Salsa
1) 1 Sockeye Salmon fillet cut into four to five smaller fillets.
about 5 ounces each, 4-5” long 2 1/2 inches wide.
2) 1 tbs. oil for salmon filets plus extra for grill
3) Salmon Seasoning (see recipe below)
4) Salsa (see recipe below)
1) Preheat grill to high.
2) Brush grill with oil, let fire burn out if there is one.
3) Lightly oil salmon top and sprinkle filets evenly with seasoning.
4) Put salmon skin side up on the grill, turn heat down to medium low.
5) Close lid and grill for 3- 4 minutes.
6) Gently flip the fish to skin side down and grill another 4-5 minutes.
7) Remove from the grill
8) Place rice on plate ( or whatever grain/starch you use) and top with a salmon filet.
9) Stir the basil into the salsa and spoon on top of the salmon.
10) Serve with: white rice ( I like jasmine), brown rice, or couscous.
The Salmon Seasoning
1) 1 tsp. Salt
2) 1/2 tsp. Pepper
3) 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
4) 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
5) 1/2 tsp. oregano
6) 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
7) 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1) Mix the ingredients in a bowl.
1) 1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
2) 2 White nectarines, pitted and chopped into 1cm pieces
3) 1 cup strawberries, stems cut off and hulled, chopped into 1 cm pieces
4) 1 large Jalapeno, stem, seeds and ribs removed, diced into small pieces
5) 1/4 cup red onion, diced
6) 2-3 tsp. lime juice
7) 1 tsp. salt
8) 1/2 tsp. black pepper
9) 1/2 cup Basil, sliced chiffonade style
1) Chop and dice all ingredients as stated in ingredient list except for basil.
2) Combine in a large bowl and mix well.
3) Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
4) Chill until ready to use.