"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Adventure for Food
Ravi Lahori - Chef
Thai Coconut Rice
1) 2 cups coconut water
2) 1 can coconut milk
3) 2 cups Thai jasmine or basmati rice
4) 2 cups water, divided
5) 2 stalks fresh lemon grass –cut into 3 to inch pieces
6) 4 pieces whole star anise
8) Fresh cilantro leaves-2 sprigs /person
1) In a bowl, soak the rice with 1
cup coconut water, and 1 cup water for
2) Place the remaining 1 cup of water, 1 cup coconut milk and coconut water, lemon
grass and star anise in a 6 quart saucepan and bring to boil. Add salt.
3) Add the soaking water and bring to a boil.
4) Add the rice and stir quickly. As soon as it returns to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low.
5) Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the coconut water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
6) The rice should be sticky.
7) Remove the lemon grass and star anise before serving.
8) Place rice in a small cup/container (enough for one serving) and press the rice down
in the cup.
9) Invert the rice in a cup on to the serving plate.
10) Top with the salmon and the grilled onion and peppers.
11) Garnish with Cilantro leaves.
1) If using a rice cooker, soak the rice and all ingredients in the cooker at the same time.
2) Cook until the rice is done.
Tandoori Salmon with Beet Juice
1) 4 salmon fillets (4 by 4 inches)
2) Marinade (see recipe below)
3) 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4) Juice of ½ lemon
5) 1 large onion, sliced
6) 2 large mixed colored bell peppers, julienne
1) A sizzle-sizzlers plate, (A flat metal plate)
2) If you do not have a sizzler plate, you can use a heavy duty pan or a cast iron skillet to
create the sizzle
1) In a container, marinade salmon fillets with all ingredients listed for marinade.
2) Marinate for 2-3 hours.
3) Chargrill or bake the salmon at 375 degrees F. degrees for 10-12 minutes.
4) Chargrill for 3 minutes on each side on a hot chargrill at 325 degrees F. basting with the
liquid after the first side is
flipped, or cook the salmon in oven with the marinade in the
5) Heat the sizzler for 1-2 minutes on a direct flame.
6) Add the onions and bell peppers.
7) Top with the butter and lemon juice.
6) Once heated, place on a wooden plank.
7) Add the cooked salmon to the onions and peppers. You could also add the Thai Coconut
1) 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2) 1/2 cup sour cream
3) 3 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
4) ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
5) ¼ teaspoon ground garam Masala
6) ¼ teaspoon chili powder
7) Juice of 1 lemon
9) Beet juice from 1 large raw beet (chop beet into tiny pieces and grind well with a 1/4 cup of
water; then strain)
10) 2 tablespoons olive oil
1) Mix the ingredients together
1) Shrimp (See recipe below)
2) Marinade (See recipe below)
3) Batter (See recipe below)
4) Slaw (See recipe below)
Cooking the Shrimp:
1) Place three tablespoons of slaw on a serving plate and place four cooked shrimp on
1) Heat oil in a deep pan filled half way with oil on medium heat.
2) When the oil is 250-275 degrees, take 2 tablespoons of that hot oil; add to batter and
mix well (hot oil is an aerating agent).
3) Coat shrimp individually with batter making sure to shake up excess batter.
4) Deep fry shrimp dropping one shrimp at a time until crispy and golden.
5) Do not put more than 5-6 shrimps at a time or the oil will cool down.
top of the slaw.
2) Lastly drizzle ¼ teaspoon of the vinaigrette over the shrimp.
The Marinade and Shrimp
1) 2 pounds large shrimp deveined and tail on
2) 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
3) 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
4) Pinch ground turmeric powder
5) Juice of ½ lemon
6) ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
8) ¼ teaspoon garam masala
1) Mix all ingredients and marinade the shrimp for 20 minutes in a bowl.
1) 1 cup gram flour
2) Juice ½ Lemon
3) ¼ teaspoon chili powder
4) ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
5) ¼ cup water
6) ¼ tsp. Salt
6) Corn oil for deep frying (use a 3 quarts pan for fry)
1) Make a fairly thick batter by mixing all ingredients in a bowl, adding about tablespoon
water if needed.
3) The batter should be smooth, should coat the back of a spoon, and not be runny.
1) 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
2) ½ cup finely shredded carrots
3) 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4) 3 tablespoons olive oil
5) Juice of 1 lime
6) 2 tablespoons brown sugar
7) 1 small green chili, finely chopped
8) 2 teaspoons chopped curry leaves
1) Heat the olive oil in a small pan.
2) Add mustard seeds and let them crackle in the pan.
3) Add curry leaves and let them crackle also.
4) Remove from heat; add the lime juice, green chili, and brown sugar.
5) Mix well to make vinaigrette.
6) Add dressing to the shredded cabbage.
7) Serve immediately to keep the crunch on the slaw.
Another Picture of Chef Ravi Lahori