"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Scott Houghton - Private Chef
Peach, Tomato and Fresh Mozzarella Salad
with Honey Lavender Dressing
(Yield 4 Servings)
1) 2 cups fresh peaches, sliced
2) 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
3) 7 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese (bufala)
4) 3 tbs. fresh basil, torn or chiffonade
5) 4 cups baby arugula or other salad greens, washed and dry
6) 1 tbs. fresh lavender leaves or flowers, chopped
7) 1 tbs. white wine vinegar
8) 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
9) 1 tbs. honey
10) ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
11) Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to season
12) Olive oil for drizzling
1) To make the dressing, whisk
together lavender, vinegar lemon juice and honey, then slowly
in oil until combined.
2) Toss the greens in some of the dressing, season
with salt, and place in a bed on the plate.
3) Season the tomatoes with
salt and pepper and arrange on top of greens.
4) Add the peaches, then
tear small pieces of the cheese and arrange on top.
5) Drizzle dressing
over everything, then top with basil and serve.
6) Drizzle more olive oil
on top, if desired.
Pan Roasted Rockfish with Crab,
Okra and Chanterelle Stew
(Yield 4 Servings)
1) 4 Rockfish fillets, 6 oz. each
2) Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to season
3) 3 tbs. olive oil
4) 2 tsp. unsalted butter plus
5) 1 tbs. unsalted butter to finish the sauce
6) 2 cups fresh okra, stems trimmed and quartered length-wise
7) 2 cups fresh wild chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
8) 1 tbs. fresh garlic, minced
9) ¼ cup scallions, sliced
10) 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
11) 1 tsp. tomato paste
12) 1 tbs. seafood seasoning (see recipe below)
13) 2 tbs. brandy
14) 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
15) 1 cup crab stock (see recipe below)
16) ½ cup lump crabmeat, picked
17) 2 tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
(For the Okra)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a
medium skillet, heat 1 tbs. oil over medium high heat, then add okra,
and saute for
5 to 7 minutes, until “slime” cooks out. Reserve to add
to the stew later.
(For the Rockfish)
1) Season the fish fillets.
2) Heat 1 tbs. oil and 1 tsp. butter in a large
skillet over medium high heat. When butter melts
and starts to foam,
add fish fillets and sear, 2 minutes per side.
3) Transfer to a baking
sheet and finish cooking in the oven, about 3 to 4 more minutes, then
(For the Chantrelle Mushrooms)
1) In the same skillet, heat another tbs. oil and tsp. butter, until
foaming, and add mushrooms.
2) Saute until mushrooms are done and liquid
has cooked out.
The Final Preparation for the Fish and Stew
1) Add scallions, thyme, tomato paste and seasoning to the mushrooms and
saute for 2 to 3
2) Add brandy and flambé, then add lemon
juice and crab stock and okra.
3) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and
cook for a minute or two until a sauce starts to form.
4) Add crabmeat and
last tbs. of butter, gently stir until butter is incorporated and
5) Then add parsley.
6) Place the fish on a plate and top with the stew and serve.
The Seafood Seasoning
(Yield 1 cup)
½ cup kosher salt
2) ¼ cup paprika
3) 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
4) 2 tsp. dried thyme
5) 2 tsp. dried oregano
6) 1 tbs. granulated garlic
7) 1 tbs. onion powder
8) 1 tsp. black pepper, ground
Place all ingredients into a food processor.
2) Pulse until well combined.
3) Store in an airtight container.
4) You may add more cayenne for a spicier
The Crab Stock
(Yield 1 quart)
1 tbs. oil
2) 2 or 3 small crab bodies, cleaned (top shell and gills removed)
3) 3 cloves garlic, cut in half
4) ½ cup onion, chopped
5) ¼ cup carrot, chopped
6) ¼ cup celery, chopped
7) 1 tbs. tomato paste
8) 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
9) 3 sprigs fresh thyme
10) 1 bay leaf
11) 1 tbs. brandy
12) 5 cups water
Heat oil in a large pot.
2) Add crab bodies and vegetables and sauté for 2
3) Add tomato paste, pepper, and herbs and sauté for 2 more
4) Add brandy, cook for 30 seconds, then add water.
5) Bring to a
boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
(Yield 12 Servings)
1) 2 tbs. garlic, minced
2) 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
3) 1 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
4) ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
5) 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
6) 1 tsp. lemon zest
7) 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
8) ½ pound unsalted butter, softened
9) 2 tbs. olive oil
10) 2 tbs. seafood seasoning
11) 1 tbs. kosher salt
12) 1 tsp. fresh black pepper
13) ½ cup grated parmesan/romano cheese blend
14) 12 fresh shucked oysters
1) Place garlic, herbs, lemon juice, zest and Worcestershire sauce in a
food processor and pulse
until chopped and blended.
2) Add ½ of the
butter, the olive oil and seasonings, pulse again, scraping down the
sides with a
rubber spatula between pulses, until combined.
3) Scoop into
a bowl, add remaining butter, and stir until well combined.
4) At this
point you can roll the butter into a 1” round loaf and refrigerate or
freeze, to use later,
or you can scoop the butter directly onto the
5) Preheat oven to broil.
6) Place one spoonful of butter on each shucked
oyster, then top with a generous sprinkle of the
oysters to a sheet pan, then place the pan in the oven on an upper
8) Broil until cheese starts to brown and the butter sizzles. Be
careful not to burn. If cheese starts
to cook too much before butter
sizzles, place the pan on a lower rack and finish cooking.