"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Anna Reeves - President (Right)
Allison Collins - Recruiting, Training & Development (Left)
Breakfast Power Balls
1) ½ cup dried pitted Dates (find these in the dried fruits section,
near the Raisins)
2) ½ cup rolled or old fashioned Oats (NOT quick oats)
3) ¼ cup good quality Semisweet Chocolate Chips (E.Guittard is
a good, “nut free” choice)
4) ⅛ tsp. Cinnamon
5) 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
6) ⅛ tsp. Salt
7) About 1 ½ tbs. Water
8) ½ cup crushed Shredded Wheat Cereal, Life Cereal or similar
1) Place cereal in ziplock bags and crush.
2) Pour the crushed cereal onto a plate or bowl. Set aside for rolling.
the bowl of a food processor, add all ingredients from dates through
water and blend until the mixture goes from crumbly to moist and
almost one mass.
4) Dump the mass into a separate bowl (be careful to avoid the blade of
the food processor!) and start scooping 1 tablespoon balls.
5) Smooth each ball with the palms of your hand and then place into the
plate/bowl of cereal.
6) Roll each ball in the cereal, pressing with your fingertips to force some
7) Mound your power balls onto a serving platter and eat!
Pea Pesto Crostini
1) 8 Whole Grain Baguette, ½ inch thick
2) 2½ tbs. Olive Oil
3) 4 Cherry Tomatoes, halved or ½ small Tomato, diced
4) Pea Pesto (see recipe below)
1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees f.
2) Brush both sides of the sliced bread with olive oil, set slices onto a
baking sheet and bake until golden, about 4 to 5 minutes.
3) Transfer the bread to a clean surface and spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of
the prepared pesto on each slice.
4) Top with tomato and serve. Enjoy!
The Pea Pesto
1) ½ (5 oz) package frozen Peas, defrosted
2) ½ package Basil
3) ½ garlic Clove
4) 1/4 cup or ½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
5) ½ tsp. Salt, plus extra for seasoning
6) ⅛ tsp. freshly ground Black Pepper, plus extra for seasoning
7) 2½ tbs. Olive Oil
together the peas, basil, garlic, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon of salt
teaspoon of pepper in a food processor (alternatively, use a
the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until well combined,
about 1 to 2 minutes.
3) Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
4) Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
(Makes 12 Cupcakes)
1) 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
2) 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
3) 1/4 tsp. Salt
4) 3/4 cup Sugar
5) 6 tbs. Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
6) 1 large Egg plus 1 large Egg White (at room temperature)
7) 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
8) 1/2 cup whole or 2% Milk
9) Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (see recipe below)
10) Optional Sprinkles, colored Sugar or Nonparells for decorating
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners (12 total).
3) In the medium mixing bowl, using a whisk, whisk together flour, baking
bpowder and salt.
4) In the large
mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on low, beat together
and butter. Mix until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
5) Add the egg and egg white, one at a time, to the butter mixture. Miz on
low as you add the eggs.
6) Add the vanilla to the butter mixture and mix on low.
7) Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing on low
speed as you do so.
8) Add ½ of the milk to the butter mixture, mixing on low as you do so.
9) Add another third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing on
low speed as you do so.
10) Add the remaining ½ of the milk to the butter mixture, beating on low
as you do so.
the remaining one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture,
beating on low as you do so. Beat until just combined. Do not over mix.
12) Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula to incorporate
any extra batter on the sides.
13) Beat until no traces of flour remain. Do not overbeat.
14) Using the spoon, divide the batter among the 12 cupcake cups.
15) Bake until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of
the cupcake comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
16) Let cool in the pan on a wire rack.
17) After 5 minutes, transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack and let cool one
18) Frost the cupcakes with vanilla buttercream.
19) Serve the cupcakes with frosting at room temperature.
20) Optional: Garnish with colored sugar, nonpareils or sprinkles.
The Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1) 2 sticks (1 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
2) 1 cup Confectioners’ Sugar
3) ½ tsp. Vanilla
1) In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer combine the ingredients
until well combined and fluffy.
2) Frost cupcakes and enjoy!
Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls
1) 4 Rice Paper Wrappers
2) ½ medium Apple, sliced into matchsticks or shredded on large hole
of box grater
3) ¼ Mango, sliced thin
4) ½ medium Peach, sliced thin
5) ½ Kiwi, sliced into rounds or quarter rounds
6) 2 medium Strawberries, sliced into rounds
7) 8 Raspberries
8) 1 Pomegranate Seeds (you can buy small cups of Pomegranate
Seeds in the produce section of most stores)
9) 4 Mint Leaves, chiffonade or torn into small pieces
10) 1 tbs. Honey
11) The juice of ½ Lime
1) Place all your chopped/sliced fruit on a large platter or plate (raspberries
can remain whole).
2) Prepare the rice paper wrappers by submerging them one at a time in hot
water for 2-3 minutes until they are soft and malleable.
3) Immediately transfer the soft rice paper to a large plate and start to fill
your spring rolls.
either strawberries, kiwi, raspberries or peach to lay down first
then directly onto of your chosen fruit place a few sticks of apple and
mango, followed by some pomegranate seeds and a couple of pieces of
5) Repeat for each spring roll, making one at a time.
6) Quickly make the dressing by mixing the honey and lime juice together
in a bowl and serve with the fruit spring rolls.