Pastry Chef Rita Garruba with Lindsey Gustin
Lemon Rosemary Biscuits
1) 2 cups unbleached all-purpose Flour
2) 3 tbs. granulated Sugar
3) 1/4 cup Corn Meal
4) 3 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
5) 2 oz. cold Butter
6) 1 tsp. Rosemary - chopped fresh
7) 1 tsp. Lemon Zest - grated fresh
8) 9 oz. Heavy Cream
9) 2 tsp. Vanilla
1) Mix the first four ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
2) Cut the butter into small cubes (one square cm.) and add to bowl.
3) Add the rosemary and lemon zest.
4) Mix the contents of the bowl until the butter pieces are the size of peas.
5) Add the heavy cream and the vanilla. Mix until the dough comes
6) Place on a floured cutting board and roll into the shape of a rectangle.
7) Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
8) Brush the tops of the dough with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
9) Line a rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
10) Place the biscuits on the pan, and bake at 385 degrees for 11 to 14
minutes or until golden brown.
1) 8 oz. Lemon Juice - freshly squeezed
2) 2 cups granulated Sugar
3) 3/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
4) 2 tbs. Water
5) 2 oz. Butter
6) 10 oz. Egg Yolks
1) Place lemon juice, one cup of sugar, the vanilla, water and the butter
into a heavy bottom sauce pan.
2) Bring to a boil.
3) Meanwhile, mix yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl.
4) Pour boiling mixture into the bowl and whisk to blend.
5) Strain, and place back in pot to bring to a boil. stirring and whisking
6) Immediately poor into a container and let cool.
1) 1 cup heavy Whipping Cream
2) 1 tbs. Sugar
1) Whip cream.
2) Add sugar.
1) 1 pint Blackberries
2) Sugar to taste.
1) Place blackberries and sugar in a blender and mix well.
2) Strain with a fine mesh strainer.
1) A portion of the Lemon Curd prepared above.
2) The Whipped Cream.
1) Mix the a small portion of whipped cream with the lemon curd.
2) Fold in more whipped cream to taste.
The Final Assembly
1) When biscuit is cool, cut it in half and put the lemon curd inside.
2) Put the blackberry sauce on the bottom of the plate.
3) Put whipped cream on top of the biscuit.
The Desert Sampler served
at the Butterfield9 Restaurant