"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
GreenFare Organic Cafe
408 Elden Street
Herndon, VA 20170
Gwyn L. Whittaker - CEO (right)
Justin Matthews - Executive Chef (left)
Tomato and Bean Salad
(Yield 4 Servings)
1) 1/2 cup diced Celery
2) ½ cup diced Cucumbers
3) 2 cups diced Tomatoes
4) 1 Red Onion, diced
5) 2 Red, Yellow, Orange, or Green Bell Pepper, diced
6) 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Basil
7) 1 can White Beans (Great Northern, Cannellini, Navy), drained and rinsed
8) 1 tablespoon fresh Lime Juice
9) 1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
10) Salt, to taste
1) In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and set aside for 15 minutes
or more to allow the flavors to develop.
2) Add salt and serve at room temperature.
Yield 6 Servings)
1) 12 cups Penne
2) 2 cups diced Carrots
3) 1 cup Crimini Mushrooms
4) 1 diced Onion
5) 2 cups chopped Broccoli
6) 1 cup diced Red Bell Pepper
7) 1 1/2 tbs. fresh Garlic
8) 2 cups low sodium Vegetable Broth
9) 1/2 cup raw Cashews
10) 1 cup Soy Milk
11) 1/2 cup Oat Flour
12) 2 cups Green Peas
13) 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
14) 2 tbs. fresh Basil
15) 2 tbs. fresh Oregano
16) 1 cup halved Cherry Tomatoes
1) In a medium pan, bring water to a boil.
2) Then add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the
3) When the pasta is slightly al dente, remove from heat, drain and
4) While the pasta cooks, in a large saute pan, sweat the broccoli,
carrots, onion, red pepper and garlic on medium heat for 10
5) Keep them covered and stir occasionally.
6) Then stir in the vegetable broth and simmer for another 10 minutes.
7) Grind the cashews in a spice grinder to form a cashew powder. A
coffee grinder or blender would also work. Either way, make sure
the appliance is completely dry.
8) Stir in the soy milk, oat flour and cashew powder. Make sure to
stir occasionally to prevent the oats from clumping together.
9) Add the peas, black pepper and dried herbs.
10) Simmer for 10 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally, until the
oats and cashews create a creamy sauce.
11) Mix in the pasta and tomatoes,
12) This is best served right away.
13) This is also delicious chilled as a pasta salad.
Orange and Fig Salad
1) 2 cups Orange (seedless) chopped
2) 4 fresh Figs, washed and quartered
3) 1-2 tablespoons chopped Dates
5) ¼ teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
5) 1 tablespoon finely grated Orange Zest
6) (optional) grind of Black Pepper/sprinkle of crushed Fleur De Sal
1) Combine the orange, figs,dates, nutmeg, grated orange zest in a medium
bowl and mix gently.
2) Set aside at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
3) Sprinkle with the optional pepper and salt, if you like, just before serving.