"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Anna Stewart - Personal Chef
and Culinary Instructor
Lemony Spring Vegetables
over Creamy Fresh Pasta
1) Fresh Pasta Dough (see recipe below)
2) 2 tbs. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
3) 1 medium White Onion - halved and thinly sliced
4) 8 oz Baby Zucchini - trimmed and halved lengthwise
5) 8 oz. frozen tiny Green Beans (3 cups) - thawed
6) 2 tsp. Lemon Zest (about 1 Lemon)
7) 1 1/4 cups finely grated Parmesan Cheese
plus more for passing
8) 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
9) 2 1/2 tbs. fresh Lemon Juice
1) Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
2) Drain, reserving 2 cups of cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
3) Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the
onion and zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute
until the zucchini is almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add the
beans and lemon peel and toss for 1 minute.
4) Scrape contents of the skillet over the pasta in the pot.
5) Add the Parmesan cheese, the cream, lemon juice and 1 cup of
the reserved cooking liquid.
6) Place over medium high heat and toss until heated through and
sauce coats the pasta...adding more reserved pasta liquid by
1/4 cupfuls to moisten as needed.
7) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8) Serve, passing additonal cheese separately.
The Fresh Pasta Dough
1) 2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 oz.) "00" Flour
2) Semolina Flour for dusting work surfaces and pasta
3) 1 tsp. fine Sea Salt
4) 4 large Eggs
5) 1 tbs. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Preparation to make the Dough:
1) Place flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
2) Make a "well" in the center of the flour mixture and add eggs
3) Using your fingers, blend the eggs into the flour mixture, stirring
the flour in from the sides of the well and working outwards.
4) When the pasta dough is thoroughly mixed, turn it out on a lightly
floured work surface.
5) Knead dough until it is smooth and flexible but not sticky, adding
small amounts of flour as needed, about 5 minutes.
6) Shape the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk.
7) Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes
or up to an hour at room temperature.
Preparation to roll out and cut the Dough:
1) Secure a pasta machine to the edge of a long countertop.
2) Using a bench scraper, cut the dough into 3 pieces.
3) Keep extra dough covered in plastic wrap while working on one
4) With a rolling pin, roll the piece of dough into a rough rectangle
that will fit inside the widest setting of the pasta machine.
5) Roll the dough through the machine, catching it with one hand
as you roll with the other.
6) Take the dough and trifold it like a letter.
7) Turn the dough so one open end faces the maching and roll it
through the widest setting again.
8) Fold, turn and roll once more on the widest setting.
9) Continue rolling the pasta through the maching without folding,
adjusting the rollers to a smaller setting each time, until the
desired thickness is reached. If the pasta sheets become too
large to handle, use a bence scraper to cut it into more
manageable lengths and continue rolling.
10) Cut sheets to desired shpaes and size, toss with Semolina flour
and set aside covered with a clean kitchen towel.
11) The pasta can be cooked immediately or covered with plastic
wrap. and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before use.
Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with
Roasted Balsamic Strawberries
1) 1 tbs. Powdered Gelatin
2) 1/2 cup Milk
3_ 1 cup chilled Heavy Cream
4) 1 (14 oz.) Condensed Milk
5) 1 tsp. Vanilla Bean Extract
6) Fresh Mint for garnish
7) Roasted Balsamic Strawberries (see recipe below)
1) In a medium saucepan, pour the milk and sprinkle the gelatin
evenly. Set aside to soften for about 5 minutes.
2) Then heat the milk over medium heat until the sides begin to
3) Lower the heat and whisk in the softened gelatin, stirring to
make sure it is completely dissolved.
4) In a separate bowl, stir the cream and condensed milk. Then
stir in the vanilla bean extract.
5) Divide the cream mixture evenly among 4-6 (7 to 8 ounce)
custard cups or remekins.
6) Chill until firm, at least 4 hours.
7) To serve, run a knife around the inside edge of the molds and
invert each panna cotta onto a serving plate.
8) Spoon over the cooled Roasted Balsamic Strawberries, allowing
the fruit to spill onto the plate.
9) Then garnish with some mint.
The Roasted Balsamic Strawberries (Gastrique)
1) 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2) 1 1/3 cup superfine Sugar
3) 2 cups halved, hulled Strawberries
4) 1 1/3 cups hot Water
1) In a medium saucepan, stir the sugar into the hot water until
2) Add the strawberries and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
3) Add the balsamic vinegar, increase the heat and bring to a boil.
4) Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 30
5) Let the gastrique cool, then strain into a jar, cover and refrigerate.
1) Use a high-qualith aged balsamic vinegar. It makes a huge