"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Muge Karsli - Host of "Feast Delight" - Left
Lindsey Gustin - Host of "Recipes from the Chefs Kitchen" - Right
(Kuru Fasulye) Turkish Bean Stew
1) 2 tablespoons light Olive Oil
2) 1 large Onion thinly sliced
3) 1 clove Garlic, chopped
4) 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes,
5) 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
6) ˝ teaspoon Cumin
7) ˝ teaspoon Turmeric
8) ˝ teaspoon Paprika
9) ˝ teaspoon Pepper
10) ˝ teaspoon Sugar
11) 1 cup diced Tomatoes (can is fine)
12) 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
13) 2 cups of Water to mix Tomato Paste
14) 2 cups your choice of White Beans, Navy, Great Northern, Lima
soaked in Water overnight
15) ˝ pound your choice of Meat - ground Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Beef chunks.
16) 2 -4 pieces of Turkish Sucuk and Pastirma (Sausage/Pastrami – optional)
17) 2 cups of Water or Chicken Stock to cook
1) In a deep sauté heat up the olive oil.
2) Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute until transparent and soft.
3) Add the meat and stir until lightly brown.
4) Add all the spices, including salt, pepper and sugar.
5) Stir in the tomatoes, and the tomato paste mixture.
6) Stir to combine all the ingredients.
7) Add the beans. Stir until it is combined.
8) Add the water or chicken stock.
9) Bring to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes.
11) Bring the temperature down to medium heat and cook for 1 1/2 hours,
until the beans are cooked.
12) If the water is dissolving during the cooking phase, add more water.
13) This dish can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes, or for 4
hours in a slow cooker.
14) Serve hot with rice and cucumber yogurt salad.
Rice and Tomatoes
1) 1 1⁄2 cups Long Grain Rice
2) Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
3) 4 medium Tomatoes, diced
4) 6 tbs. Butter
5) 2 1/2 cups Beef Broth or 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
1) Place rice in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon salt, and cover with hot water;
stir and let sit until cooled; drain and set.
2) Melt butter in a heavy skillet, cook tomatoes in butter, stirring over
medium heat for five minutes.
3) Add rice, stir once, cover and cook on high heat, without stirring, for 5
4) Add broth, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 2 minutes.
5) Reduce heat to low and cook until rice absorbs all the broth, about 15
minutes; remove from heat.
6) Uncover, place a napkin over saucepan, replace cover, and leave in a
warm place for 20 minutes before serving.
(Cacik) Chilled Yogurt with CucumberIngredients:
1) 4 oz. Yogurt
2) 1 Cucumber (shredded)
3) 1 minced Garlic
4) 1 tablespoon Dill
1) Combine all of the ingredients, except the mint.
2) Serve cold in a bowl.
3) Sprinkle with dill.
(Sutlac) Rice Pudding
1) ˝ cup Rice
1) Cook rice with water until tender.
2) 2 cups Water
3) 2 cups Milk
4) 1 cup Sugar
5) 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
2) Drain water.
3) Add milk, sugar and corn starch.
4) Stir continuously until it boils and thickens.
6) Serve in individual cups.
7) Sprinkle cinnamon or lemon zest for garnish.