Pastry Chef - Joslyn Bergmann
Aunt Nora's Apple Tort
For the dough...
1) Spray inside of springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
3) Cut in butter until it is in small pieces.
4) Add the egg and mix until the dough forms a ball.
5) Chill dough until firm, at least a few hours.
6) Remove dough from refrigerator.
For the Crust...
1) On a floured surface, roll 2/3 of the dough into a circle and then press
into a prepared springform pan. Any tears can be patched by
pressing dough together. This will be the tart shell.
2) Place pan in freezer to firm up.
For the Lattice Top...
1) On a floured surface, roll out remaining 1/3 dough into a rectangle about
2) Trim edges, then cut dough into 1" wide strips. You should have about 12
3) Place 6 of the strips evenly spaced apart on a 9" cardboard cake round or
piece of parchment, then lift up and gently fold back every other strip of
4) Place 1 strip of dough on top of the 3 strips that are not folden back.
5) Unfold the strips back down.
6) Gently lift up and fold back the other 3 strips (over the first perpendicular
strip) and then place the 2nd strip of dough (it should be parallel to the
1st strip and on top of the 3 strips that are not folded back).
7) Unfold the strips back down.
8) Continue weaving in the remaining 4 strips, making sure they are all evenly
9) Trim edges and place in freezer until needed.
The Apple Filling
1) 3 1/2 oz. Raisins - soaked in hot Water or other liquid
2) 2 1/2 tart crisp Apples
3) 1 tbs. Lemon Juice
4) 1 tbs. Lemon Zest
5) 1/2 to 3/4 cup Sugar
6) 3 tbs. All-Purpose Flour
7) 1 tbs. Egg
8) 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.
2) Peel, core and slice apples into 1/2 inch pieces.
3) Drain raisins and mix with apples.
4) Add lemon juice, zest, sugar, and flour and mix well.
5) Remove prepared tart shell from freezer and place apple mixture in shell.
6) Remove lattice from freezer and brush with egg.
7) Slide lattice over top of the apples and press dosn gently.
8) Crimb edges together and remove any excess dough.
9) Bake at 375 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until apples are tender and crust
is golden brown.
10) Remove from oven and carefully pour cream into spaces between lattice
11) Return to oven and bake 10 more minutes to set cream.
12) Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
1) Confectioner's (powdered) Sugar
2) Heavy Whipping Cream - chilled
1) Dust apple tart generously with powdered sugar and serve with plenty of
lightly sweetened whipped cream.