Pastry Chef Heather Martindale
Pear in Puff Pastry
1) 6 Whole ripe Bartlett Pears
2) 3/4 liter Water
3) 2 cups Sugar
4) 1 Vanilla Bean
5) 2 Star Anise Pods
6) 1 Cinnamon Stick
7) 1 Lemon, halved and squeezed
1) Place the sugar, vanilla beans, anise pods, cinnamon stick and the lemon
in the pan filled with the water to create the poaching liquid. Place a
paper towel on top of the pears.
2) Peel the pears and make the bottom part flat.
3) Poach the pears in the simmering water mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
4) Place the pan in ice water to shock the pears (allowing the pears to cool
in the poaching liquid).
5) Refrigerate pears until cool.
6) Core the pears leaving one end closed.
1) 1 cup chopped Almond Cookies
2) 1 cup well toasted Walnuts - roughly chopped
3) 1 cup finely chopped Butter Toffee
4) 1 tbs. freshly ground Cinnamon
1) Mix the ingredients together.
2) Place the filling inside the cool pear...pressing hard to pack it all in.
The Red Currant Compote
1) 2 cups fresh or flash frozen Red Currants
2) 1/4 to 1 cup Sugar
3) Pinch of Salt
4) 1 good sized Cinnamon Stick
1) Mix all the ingredients.
2) Simmer in a pan to reduce.
The Puff Pastry
1) 2 half sheets good quality Puff Pastry
2) 1 cup all purpose Flour
3) 1 cup Heavy Cream
4) 2 to 3 tbs. Cinnamon Sugar
1) Roll the puff pastry gently...using the flour to keep it from sticking when
rolling out the dough.
2) Allow to rest.
3) Place the puff pastry on a sheet pan. Put a towel on top to keep
4) Refrigerate the puff pastry to keep it cool.
5) Using a pizza cutter or sharp blade...cut lengthwise into several
1 1/2" strips.
6) Roll the strips around the pears...covering them completely.
7) Mix the cinnamon and heavy cream together. Take a pastry brush and
brush the pears with the cinnamon/heavy cream mixture.
8) Place the covered pears in an oven at 350 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes
or until golden brown.
The Garnish and Presentation
1) Cinnamon Sugar
2) 2 cups Sugar
3) 1/4 cup freshly ground Cinnamon
4) Favorite Ice Cream or...
5) Marcel's Toffee Almond Brittle Ice Cream
1) Dust the plate with cinnamon sugar.
2) Heat the pear (if necessary).
3) Put the pear in the middle the the plate and place the red currant compote
on the side of the pear.
4) Place the ice cream between the red currant compote and the pear.
Various Deserts at Marcel's
1) Dark Chocolate Mousse Espresso and Cocoa Coulis
2) Apple Tarttain Calvados Caramel with Creme Fraiche Ice Cream (right)