1121 North 19th Street
Arlington, VA 22209
Massimo De Francesca - Executive Chef
Arugula and Radicchio Salad with
Ricotta Salata and Raspberry Shallot Vinaigrette
1) 5 tbs. Raspberry Vinegar
2) 1/2 piece of a chopped Shallots
3) 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
4) Several Fresh or Frozen Raspberries
5) The juice of 1 Lemon
6) 5 tbs. Olive Oil
7) Salt Pepper and Sugar to taste
1) Place the mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice in a blender.
2) Begin mixing at medium speed.
3) Once mustard becomes smooth, begin slowly drizzling both of the oils until
4) Continue blending and add the shallots raspberries, salt, pepper and sugar
on high speed for 20 seconds.
5) This recipe makes 20 portions and will hold in cooler for 3-4 weeks.
Store in sealed container.
1) 1 1/2 oz. Arugula - cleaned and trimmed of stems
2) 1 oz. Radicchio - sliced thin with chef knife
3) 1 oz. Ricotta Salata - thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler
4) 2 tbs. of the dressing (see above)
1) Add arugula and radicchio into a wooden or ceramic bowl.
2) Drizzle the dressing around the bowl.
3) Gently toss with hands until completely covered.
4) Place in cool plate and top with shaved ricotta.
Spaghetti Alla Carbonara with
Cracked Black Pepper and Creamy Egg Yolk Sauce
1) 5 oz. Virginia Ham - thinly sliced into ¼ inch match sticks
2) 2 cloves Garlic - peeled, center germ out and finely chopped
3) 2 small pieces Shallots - peeled and finely chopped
4) 1 tbs. Black Peppercorns - coarsely grinded with peppermill
5) 4 Egg Yolks
6) 8 oz. Heavy Cream
7) A small amount of White Wine
8) Parmiggiano Cheese (see recipe below)
9) 2 oz. White Wine
10) 4 Quail Yolks - (Whites optional)
11) Freshly Ground Pepper
12) 5 quarts of Salted Water
1) Begin by boiling 5 quarts of salted water in a medium pot.
2) In mixing bowl add the egg yolks and add half of the cream...reserving
the other half. Mix until smooth with whisk.
3) In a saute pan, saute shallots, garlic, peppercorns and ham for 5 minutes
with medium heat. Do not brown.
4) Add wine and simmer until dry.
5) Add the rest of the cream and bring to simmer-reduce by half.
6) Once water has reached to boil, submerge the pasta and begin stirring
after a few minutes ensuring the noodles donít stick.
7) The usual cooking time is 9-11 minutes.
8) When the spaghetti is done, strain while reserving some of the pasta water.
9) Add into the sauté pan with ham and cream.
10 Return on medium heat for few minutes and bring back to simmer.
11) Take off the heat and pour in the egg yolk mix and the grated parmiggiano
cheese, while stirring rapidly until egg yolks and cream cook and become
thick. If too thick, add some of the reserved pasta cooking water.
12) Serve in warmed pasta bowls or platter and garnish with fresh grated
13) Top off with quail yolk (optional) for added richness and fresh ground pepper.
14) This recipe makes 4 to 6 plated portions. Enjoy.
Mascarpone Mousse with Espresso,
Cocoa, Berries and Mint
1) This recipe might sound intimidating but is very easy and quick to make.
2) First measure all ingredients (measure the dry first then use the same cup
measurer for the cream.
3) Add all into a bowl.
4) Begin mixing slowly for the powders not to make a mess.
5) Slowly incorporate the heavy cream about 1 /3 of total.
6) Once mixture becomes smooth, add the rest of the cream. Continue to mix
until forms a very stiff mix.
7) Mix the berries in a bowl with the lemon juice, chopped mint and sprinkle of
sugar. Then let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
8) Scoop the mousse onto a plate or serving platter of choice and garnish with
the fresh berries.
9) Dust with fresh finely ground espresso.
10) This recipe makes 6 to 8 people. Enjoy
In the Studio Kitchen with Massimo De Francesca
(left) and Lindsey Gustin (right)