Daniel Traster-Chef and Instructor
1) 4 1/2 oz. Pastry Flour
2) 4 1/2 oz. Granulated Sugar (softened)
3) 4 1/2 oz. Butter
4) 4 oz. Corn Syrup
5) 4 1/2 oz. Almonds (sliced and toasted)
1) Blend the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl. Add the
corn syrup and incorporate.
2) Add the almonds.
3) Drop 1 tsp. of batter onto parchment lined sheet pan
at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading. Flatten
4) Bake at 325 degrees until golden.
5) Gently lift cookies off of baking sheet and form into
desired shapes (drape over a rolling pin for curved
effect or wrap around an inverted ramekin to create
an edible dish) before they cool.
Flourless Chocolate Torte
1) 10 Eggs (cold)
2) 20 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate (coarsely chopped)
3) 10 oz. Unsalted Butter cut into 1/2" cubes
4) 2 1/2 oz. Coffee Liqueur (strong)
5) Confectioner's Sugar or Cocoa Powder or Chocolate
Shavings for decoration.
1) Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven
to 325 degrees. Line bottom of 10" cake pan with
parchment and grease pan sides. Set cake pan in large
roasting pan. Bring kettle of water to boil.
2) Beat eggs with whip attachment at medium speed until
volume doubles to approximately 1 quart, about 5
3) Melt chocolate and butter (adding coffee or liqueur) in a
large heat-proof bowl set in an oven pan of almost
simmering water...until smooth and very warm (about
115 degrees), stirring once or twice. Remove from heat
and allow to cool slightly. Fold 1/3 of egg foam into
chocolate mixture using a large rubber spatula until only
a few streaks of egg are visible. Then fold in half of
remaining form, then the last of the remaining foam,
until mixture is totally homogenous.
4) Scrape batter into prepared cake pan and smooth surface
with rubber spatula. Set roasting pan on oven rack and
pour enought boiling water to come about halfway up
side of pan. Bake until cake has risen slightly...about 20
to 25 minutes. At that time...the edges are beginning to
set, a thin glazed crust (like a brownie) has formed on the
surface, and an instant read thermometer inserted halfway
through the cake center registers 140 degrees.
5) About 30 minutes before serving, invert cake on a sheet
of waxed paper...then peel off parchment paper and turn
cake right side up on a serving platter. Dust with sifted
confectioner's sugar or cocoa powder to decorate.