Restaurant and Bar
16th and 'K' St. N.W.
Ian Barthley-Pastry Chef
Mango Napoleon with Lime Sorbet
1) 3 sheets Phyllo Dough
2) Melted Butter
4) 2 ripe Mangoes, diced
5) 1 cup Coconut Whipped Cream (see recipe below)
6) 1/4 cup Mango Puree
7) Lime Sorbet (see recipe below)
1) Lay one sheet of phyllo dough flat on a table and
brush with melted butter.
2) Place another layer of phyllo on top and repeat
procedure until there are three layers of buttered
3) Use a 4" round cooking cutter and cut out 24 circles.
4) Place cut out circles on a parchment covered baking
sheet and sprinkle gently with sugar.
5) Place another piece of parchment paper on top and
place another baking sheet on it.
6) Bake at 350 degrees until golden, approximately 15
Ingredients for the Coconut
1) 2 cups Heavy Cream
2) 1 can Coco Lopez
Preparation for the Coconut
1) Add Coco Lopez to whipping cream to taste.
2) Whip together
Ingredients for the Lime Sorbet:
1) 1 cup Water
2) 1 cup Sugar
3) 1 cup Milk
4) 2 Limes, zested
5) 1 cup Lime Juice
Preparation for the Lime Sorbet:
1) Bring the first four ingredients to a boil.
2) Add the Lime Juice
3) Cool in an ice bath, then process in an ice
cream maker, according to manufacturer's
To Assemble Entire Recipe:
1) Place a small amount of whipped cream on a
2) Top with a phyllo round.
3) Top phyllo round with diced mangoes.
4) Place a phyllo round on top of the mango.
5) Top with coconut whipped cream.
6) Finish with another phyllo round.
7) Decorate plate with mango puree.
8) Place a scoop of lime sorbet on the plate.
9) Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Bread Pudding Creme Brulee
with Mixed Berry Compote
(Yield 6 Servings)
1) 6 pieces White Bread, toasted
2) 4 cups Heavy Cream
3) 10 Egg Yolks
4) 1 cup Sugar
5) 1 tbs. Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for the Mixed
1) 1 cup Orange Juice
2) Zest of one Orange
3) 1/4 cup Sugar
4) 1/2 pint Raspberries
5) 1/2 pint Strawberries
6) 1/2 pint Blueberries
7) 1/2 pint Blackberries
8) 2 tbs. Butter
9) 1 tbs. Gran Marnier
1) Take 4' cooking cutter and cut six circles from
2) Put on cookie sheet.
3) Place in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until
4) Remove and set aside.
5) In a mixing bowl, whisk cream and half cup of
6) Place in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
7) In another bowl, whisk the rest of the sugar, egg
yolks and vanilla until incorporated.
8) Take 1/3 of the warm cram mixture and add to
the egg mixture to temper.
9) Add the remaining cream mixture to the yolk
mixture and mix until smooth.
10) Strain and put in a water bath to cool. Set aside.
11) Put one piece of tasted bread round in each of
the six ramekins.
12) Pour brulee mixture over the bread to fill the
13) Set aside for 30 minutes to absorb.
14) Set the ramekins in a water bath. Press the bread
down to submerge.
15) Cover with aluminum foil.
16) Put in a 350 degree preheated oven. Bake until
set, about 25-30 minutes.
17) Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
18) Place sugar, orange juice and zest in a pot.
19) Let come to a boil. Reduce by half. Add butter
to melt. Remove from heat.
20) Add the berries. Toss to coat. Add Gran Marnier.
Toss again and set aside.
21) Sprinkle top of brulee with granulated sugar, lightly.
22) Melt with a salamander or blow torch. Repeat 3 or
4 times until sugar melts and forms a hard caramel
23) Scoop compote on top of brulee, centered. Garnish
with a sprig of mint.
Vanilla Cheesecake with Spiced
Pineapple and Basil Ice Cream
(Yield 8 Servings)
Ingredients for the Spiced
1) 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
2) 2 cups Water
3) 1/2 cup Vanilla Rum
4) 1 1/2 Cups Banana Puree
5) 4 Peppercorns
6) 1/4 oz. sliced fresh Ginger
7) 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
8) 1 1/2 Vanilla Beans
9) 1 Pineapple, cored and quartered
Preparation for the Spiced
1) Bring all ingredients except pineapple to a boil.
2) Add the pineapple and bring back to a boil.
3) Put in an ovenproof pan and bake at 350 degrees
for 45 minutes.
4) Cool, remove pineapple and strain liquid.
5) Dice pineapple into 1/4 inch cubes.
Ingredients for the Basil
1) 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
2) 1/2 cup Milk
3) 5 Egg Yolks
4) 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
5) 15 stems fresh Basil, washed, dried, minced
Preparation for the Basil
1) Bring cream, milk and 1/4 cup sugar to a boil.
2) Remove from heat, add basil and steep for an
3) In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks and the remaining
1/2 cup sugar.
4) Temper by adding a small amount of the hot cream
mixture into the egg yolks and sugar while whisking.
5) Add to the rest of the cream mixture and return to
heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back
of a spoon.
6) Cool in an ice bath.
7) Process in an ice cream maker according to the
To Assemble Entire Recipe:
1) Place a small amout of spiced pineapple in the middle
of each plate.
2) Spoon a tablespoon of cooking liquid around the
3) Sprinkle extra fine sugar on the top of a slice of
cheesecake and glaze with a blow torch.
4) Scoop a quenelle of basil ice cream onto pineapple.
5) Lean glazed cheesecake against ice cream scoop.