Cooking Instructor Rebekah Lin Jewell
Fried Pot Stickers
(Yield 75 Small Dumplings or 50 Large Dumplings)
1) 1 1/2 lb. Ground Beef (don't get lean beef, the fat is good for juicy and flavorable pot stickers)
2) 1 tbs. Ginger - minced
3) 1 tbs. Garlic - minced
4) 2 tsp. Salt
5) 2 tbs. Soy Sauce
6) 1 tsp. Sugar
7) 4 tsp. Cornstarch
8) 2 tbs. Water
9) 3 tbs. Sesame Oil
10) 1 1/4 lb. Napa Cabbage (chop the Napa cabbage by hand or using a food processor)
11) Chopped Chives
1) Put the ground beef, ginger, garlic, salt, soy sauce, sugar cornstarch and Napa cabbage in a
large mixing bowl.
2) Stir water into the meat mixture gradually, then add chopped chives and sesame oil.
1) The Filling (see recipe above)
2) 2 round packages of Winton Wrappers (or Homemade Wrappers...see recipe below)
3) Oil for frying
5) Dipping Sauce (see recipe below)
Making the Dumplings:
1) Separate the wonton wrappers and brush the edges with water.
2) Place about 1 tablespoon filling in the center of each wrapper.
3) Fold the wrapper in half to cover the filling and to form a half moon shape.
4) Starting from the center, then the two sides, pinch the wrapper tightly together.
5) Continue until you have used up the filling.
6) Refrigerate until ready to cook.
7) The dumplings can be frozen on a tray, then transferred to a plastic bag or container.
8) When you are ready to pan-fry the dumplings, it is not necessary to defrost them.
Cooking the Dumplings:
1) Heat a flat frying pan on medium low heat until the pan is hot.
2) Add 2 tablespoons oil.
3) When the oil is hot, add 20 to 25 dumplings to cover the bottom of the pan without overlapping.
4) Fry the dumplings until the browns turn brown.
5) Then add 1/4 cup of cold water, turn to low heat, cover, and cook until the water has
evaporated (about 5 minutes). (The frozen uncooked dumplings should be cooked 5 minutes
longer after water is added.)
6) Uncover, turn the heat slightly higher, add 1 tablespoon oil, and let the dumplings fry 2
7) Serve hot with with brown side up, allowing dumplings to remain stuck together in rows.
8) Serve with the dipping sauce.
The Homemade Pot Sticker Wrappers
1) 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
2) 1 1/2 cup plus 1 to 2 tbs. Boiling Water
3) 1/2 tsp. Salt
1) Put the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
2) Gradually add the boiling water, and with your gingers or chopsticks, stir to make a firm
3) Knead it until it feels smooth.
4) Put the dough in the bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
5) Let stand for 30 minutes.
6) The dough can be made ahead of time and kept in a tightly covered container in the
refrigerator for up to 2 days.
7) Take one third of the dough and roll it into a long sausage form. Then cut it into 1-inch
pieces. Use your hand to flatten each round piece into a 1/4-inch thick piece. Then with
a Chinese rolling pin, roll out each piece to form a round circle about 3 inches in diameter.
8) Follow the same procedure with the rest of the dough.
9) Note...you may use a food processor to make this dough.
The Seasoning Sauce
1) 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2) 1/4 cup or less of Rice Vinegar
3) 2 tbs. minced Green Onions
4) 2 tsp. minced Ginger
5) 1 tbs. Sesame Oil
In a small bowk. combine the above ingredients until evenly blended.
(Serves 5 to 6)
1) 2 packages Unflavored Gelatin
2) 1/2 cup Cold Water
3) 1 1/4 cups Boiling Water
4) 1 1/3 cups Sugar
5) 1 1/2 cups Table Cream
6) 1 tbs. Almond Extract
7) 1 1/2 cups Water
1) Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let it set for 5 minutes.
2) Add 1/3 cup sugar to the boiling water until it dissolves, then stir in the softened Gelatin.
3) Add the cream and almond extract to the gelatin mixture.
4) Pour the liquid into a shallow square or rectangular container and refrigerate about 4 hours,
or until firm.
5) Combine remaining 1 cup sugar with 1 1/2 cups water. Then cook and stir to dissolve
6) Chill the sugar water in the refrigerator.
7) Using a small knife, cut the almond float into square or diamond shapes.
8) Lift them out with a spatula to a serving bowl.
9) Pour the chilled sugar water over the serve cold.
1) Canned lychees or peeled fresh lychees, Mandarin Orange sections, or other fresh fruit may
be used as garnish.
Steamed Pot Stickers and Sauce - Left
Rebekah Lin Jewell and Lindsey Gustin with the steamer - Right