110 S. Pitt st.
Cathal Armstrong - Chef/Owner
Roasted Squab Breast
with a Pocket Full of Treats
The Whole Squab
1) Cut away the squab thighs to use in the confit.
2) Cut away everything else off the squab except the breastbone. This will be used
in the squab glace and squab sauce.
The Squab Breast
1) The Squab Breast
2) Canola Oil
Roast the squab breasts on the bone in Canola Oil until medium rare. Let rest.
For the Confit
1) 5 cloves Garlic
2) Sprig of Thyme
3) Sprig of Rosemary
4) 1 Bay Leaf
5) Duck Fat or Canola Oil to cover
7) The Squab Thighs
1) Place the ingredients in a baking dish.
2) Bake at 275 degrees until fork tender...about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
3) Take the skin off and remove the thigh bones...leaving the meat.
The Squab Sauce and Squab Glace
1) The other squab bones (except the breast bone)
2) 1/2 stalk of Celery
3) 1/2 Leek
4) 3 Shallots
5) 3 oz. good Armagnac or Brandy
6) 1 cup Veal Demi Glace
7) 1 tbs. Blackberry Jam
1) Roast the bones in a pot until golden brown.
2) Add the vegetables (rough chopped) and continue to saute until well caramelized.
3) Deglaze with Armagnac and add the demi glace.
4) Simmer the sauce for about 45 minutes and then strain it through a fine mesh sieve.
5) Reduce 1/2 of the strained sauce until it is thick and syrupy. This is the glace you
will use for the stuffing.
6) Add the blackberry jam to the remaining sauce. This will be used in the squab sauce
that is used to garnish the dish.
The Stuffed Pocket (the pocket full of treats)
1) 3 oz. Foie Gras - sauteed and diced
2) 1/2 pint Blackberries
3) 1 tbs. Blackberry Jam
4) 1 tbs. chopped Thyme
5) Salt, Pepper and Red Wine Vinegar to taste
6) Squab Leg Confit (see recipe above)
7) Squab Glace (see recipe above)
1) Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and use the squab glace to moisten.
2) Cut four 3-inch disks of the puff pastry and place a spoonful of stuffing on top of two of
3) Brush the edges with egg wash and put the other two disks on top.
4) Crimp the edges with a fork and score the top.
5) Brush with egg wash and bake in a 400 degree oven until golden brown...about 7 minutes.
1) Place the stuffed pocket in the center of a plate.
2) Generously spoon some sauce over the pocket.
3) Remove the finished squab breast from the bone and place on top of the pocket.
4) Bon Appetit!