Street Fudge Cake
(serves 12 to 14)
Recipe from the The Best of High Meadows --- A Selected Recipe Collection
This is the best chocolate
cake ever! It tastes delicious with cream cheese
frosting or with fresh raspberries or strawberries" --- Peter Sushka
1) Dusting of unsweetened cocoa
2) 1 3/4 cups water
3) 2 teaspoons instant coffee
4) 1/4 cup bourbon liquor
5) 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate
6) 1 cup butter
7) 2 cups sugar
8) 2 cups all-purpose flour
9) 1 tsp. baking soda
10) 2 large eggs
11) 1 tsp. vanilla
1) Grease a bundt pan and dust with unsweetened cocoa.
2) Preheat oven to 275 deg f. (no higher!)
3) Simmer water, coffee, and bourbon together for 3 minutes.
4) Add chocolate and butter and stir gently over medium heat
until melted and smooth.
5) Remove from heat, stir in sugar until blended, and cool for
6) Transfer chocolate to a large bowl of an electric mixer.
7) Separately, stir together flour and baking soda.
8) At medium speed, add flour 1/2 cup at a time, to chocolate
batter, then mix another minute.
9) Add eggs 1 at a time, then add vanilla (batter will be thin).
10)Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until
cake tests done.
11)Cool on a rack for 20 minutes.
This cake is best if not refrigerated. It may be difficult to remove pan from pan, which is why the dusting of cocoa is recommended --- it works better than flour.
Delicious Kahlua Cake
(serves 8 to 10)
1) 1 chocolate cake make from your favorite recipe or a mix
2) 1/4 cup Kahlua
3) 1 Five oz. box chocolate pudding, instant or regular,
4) 12 oz. container Cook Whip
5) 3 to 4 Heath's Butterfingers candy bars, coarsely chopped
in a blender or processor
1) Cut the cake horizontally into 4 layers, or tear into pieces
2) On a cake plate (or in a large brandy snifter) place one layer
of the cake.
3) Spread with 1/4 of the Kahlua.
4) Spread with 1/4 of the chocolate pudding.
5) Top with 1/4 of the Cool Whip.
6) Sprinkle with 1/4 of the candy.
7) Repeat, using all the layers and ending with Cool Whip (ice
the cake or top the trifle).
8) Sprinkle with remaining candy.