Lindsey Gustin with Thomas Kee - Chef and Owner
Butternut Squash and
Granny Apple Soup
1) 3 large Butternut Squash (9 lbs.)
2) 2 medium Onions - chopped
3) 6 Granny Apples cored and peeled
4) 1/2 gallon Chicken Stock
5) Salt and Pepper
7) Brown Sugar
10) Melted Butter
11) Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
13) Chives for garnish
1) Split butternut squash, scoop out seeds and arrange on a
small sheet pan. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle
with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brandy. Roast
in 400 degree convection oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour,
2) Butter apples and season with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Bake on sheet pan in a 350 degree convection oven for
30-40 minutes, until soft.
3) Heat butter in a large pot and saute onions, until soft, over
4) Chop and add apples.
5) Scoop and add squash.
6) Add chicken stock to cover by 1 to 1/2 inches.
7) Cook approximately 30 minutes and puree in a blender.
8) Add a little bit of honey to accent flavor and bring back
sweetness with salt.
9) Mix sour cream and brandy to taste.
10) Garnish sout with a teaspoon of sour cream mix and chopped
Makes 4 Servings
1) 12 oz. of Leftover Turkey - pulled or cut
2) 4 portions of Mixed Greens
3) 8 each of Asparagus - blanched
4) 12 each of Shiitakes with stem removed and cut in half
5) 4 each Plum Tomatoes - quartered
6) 1/2 bunch of Chives
7) Roasted Red Peppers for garnish
8) Sherry Vinaigrette (See Recipe Below)
1) Wash greens and dry well.
2) Pull or cut turkey into bite size strips.
3) Chop chives into small garnish.
4) Medium heat saute pan with a little olive oil or butter.
When pan is hot, toss shiitakes in and saute briefly until
they start to turn soft. Remove to mixing bowl.
5) Cut asparagus in bite size pieces. Place asparagus, turkey
and 1 tbs. of chopped chives and add to mixing bowl with
6) Add sherry vinaigrette to toss, making sure every piece is
7) Arrange mixed greens on serving plate and top with the
turkey, shiitake and asparagus mix. Garnish with tomato
wedges and roasted peppers.
For the Sherry Vinaigrette...
1) 1/2 Shallot - chopped
2) 1 clove of Garlic - chopped
3) 3/4 cup of Sherry Wine Vinegar
4) 1 dash of Worcestershire Sauce
5) 3/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6) 1 cup of Salad Oil
7) 1 tbs. of Salt
8) 2 tsp. of Black Pepper
9) 2 tsp. of Dijon Mustard
Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until incorporated.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Makes 9 Servings
1) 1 1/2 day old Baguettes
2) 1 quart of Whole Milk
3) 1 quart of Half and Half
4) 1 tsp. Nutmeg
5) 2 tsp. Cinnamon
6) 1 cup of chopped Walnuts
7) 1 cup of Raisins or dried Cranberry, optional
8) 6 Eggs
9) 2 cups Sugar
10) 2 cups Pumpkin Puree
11) 1 shot of Brandy
1) Butter a 10" by 12" pan.
2) Cut baguettes into small squares and place into mixing
bowl. Add milk, half and half, cinnamon, nutmeg,
walnuts, raisins, and stir well.
3) Whip eggs in a separate bowl and add, stir well.
4) Then add sugar and stir well.
5) Finally add pumpkin puree and brandy and stir well.
6) When the bread starts to soften, put in the buttered pan,
then place in the middle of a 350 degreee convection
oven, uncovered, for 1 hour until set.
7) Remove to cool and serve warm with cream.