"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
14115 Saint Germain Drive
Centreville, Virginia 20121
Antonino Di Nicola - Executive Chef
Insolata di Polipo
1) 2 lbs. Octopus
2) 1 cup chopped celery
3) 1 carrot chopped
4) 1 cup of baby arugula
5) 1 fresh squeezed lemon
6) 3 tablespoons olive oil
7) 1 pinch of red crushed pepper
8) Sea salt as needed
9) Black pepper as needed
10) 1 glove garlic sliced
11) ½ tomato diced
12) Chopped parsley
13) Chopped basil
1) In a pot...boil water, salt, pepper and 4 wine corks.
2) When the water is boiling, insert octopus for 35 minutes.
3) Cool down the octopus.
4) Slice octopus, lemon juice, olive oil, celery, carrots, chopped tomatoes, parsley, basil,
baby arugula, red crushed red pepper, and garlic.
5) Toss in a bowl and serve over a bed of baby arugula. top with extra virgin olive oil and
garnish with a lemon wedge.
Capesanti al Apricota
Scallops with Vanilla & Apricot
Preparation of the Sauce:
1) 8 Jumbo Scallops
2) 1 cup heavy cream
3) ½ cup Moscato wine or sweet white wine
4) 1 vanilla bean
5) ¼ table spoon minced garlic
6) Salt to taste
7) Black pepper to taste
8) ½ cup chopped dried apricots
9) ¼ spoon chopped parsley
10) 1 spoon butter
11) 1 table spoon extra virgin olive oil
12) Baby Arugula as garnish
13) ¼ cup chopped onions
14) Diluted Corn starch
1) In a pot add a little olive oil, onions, garlic and vanilla bean and Moscato wine.
2) Let simmer and add heavy cream, apricots, salt pepper and parsley.
3) Cook for 15 minutes add corn starch to thickness desired.
Preparation of the Scallops:
1) In a nonstick pan add olive oil, flour and sear the scallops in pan till cooked.
2) Plate with scallop shell and baby arugula.
3) Place cooked scallops in shell and top with the vanilla apricot sauce.
4) Garnish with fresh parsley.
Risotto di Mare
1) 2 1/2 cups fish or vegetable stock
2) 1/3 cup olive oil
3) 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4) 4 ounce Chopped clams
5) 1 cup Clam Juice
6) 1 small onion minced (about 1/2 cup)
7) 1 1/3 cups Aquarello rice
8) 1/2 cup dry white wine
9) 8 small clams, such as Manila
10) 12 whole Shrimp
11) 8 shrimp chopped
12) 8 mussels scrubbed and debearded
13) 4 ounces squid cleaned and cut into thin rings
14) 8 oz. Chopped Salmon
15) 8 whole Langostino split in Halves
16) 4 medium sea scallops
17) 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
18) 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
19) 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
20) 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
21) 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, optional
22) Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) In a small saucepan, warm the fish or vegetable stock. Keep warm.
2) In a large saucepan over moderately low heat, warm the olive oil.
3) Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the onion, and sauté; stirring occasionally until
tender (there should be no color), about 5 minutes.
4) Add the rice and toast lightly for 1 minute without letting the rice or onion take on
6) Add the wine and cook until almost completely absorbed.
7) Add most of the stock and the Clam juice with chopped clams (it should come
about 1/2 inch above the rice) and bring to a simmer and add heavy cream.
8) Cook the risotto, stirring occasionally, until the rice has absorbed some of the liquid,
about 8 minutes.
9) Add the clams, mussels, squid, scallops, and salmon, and continue cooking; stirring
occasionally, until the seafood is cooked, and the rice is al dente, about 6 minutes
more. As the rice continues to absorb the liquid, add more as needed.
10) Remove the risotto from the heat and add the parsley, garlic, olive oil,
Parmigiano-Reggiano, if using, and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
11) Stir well to release the starches and make the risotto creamy.
12) Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Chef Antonino Di Nicola - Left
Lindsey Gustin - Right