(a New Zealander Meringue based dessert)
1) 4 Egg Whites
2) 2 tbs. Cold Water
3) Essence of Vanilla
4) 1 tbs. Cornstarch
5) 1 cup Sugar
6) 1/4 tsp. Salt
7) 1 tsp. Sugar
1) Beat egg whites and salt until stiff.
2) Gradually add sugar...beating thoroughly between each addition.
3) Sprinkle vanilla essence, vinegar and cornstarch over the mixture and
beat again until blended.
4) Turn mixture onto baking paper making a slight depression in the
5) Leave in the pre-heaated oven for 5 minutes at 325 degrees F. and then
turn the oven off. Leave in the closed oven for 1 1/2 hours.
6) Spread whipped cream on top and decorate with fruit.
'Walter Peak' Cheese and Onions
1) 2 cups Flour
2) 4 tsp. Baking Powder
3) 1/4 tsp. Salt
4) 2 oz. Butter
5) 1 cup Onion - finely chopped and sauteed
6) grated 'tasty' (mature) Cheese
7) 1 1/2 cups of Milk
8) Optional - add any herb of your choice such as Paprika,
1) Sift together the flour...baking powder and salt.
2) Rub in the butter.
3) Add the onion and the cheese.
4) Mix to a stiff dough with the milk.
5) Turn out into a floured surface. Lightly knead and roll to approximately
2 inches thick.
6) Cut into pieces and place on a floured tray and cook for 15 minutes
at 475 degrees F.