"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Another Special Out of Town Recipe
Holland America Line
Culinary Arts Center
Thomas Schumann - Executive
Chef of the Cruise Ship
Lamb Burgers with Yogurt
Sauce and Greek Salad
The Yogurt Sauce
1) One 12 oz. Container Plain Yogurt
2) 1 Garlic Clove - minced and mashed to a paste with 1/4 tsp. Salt
3) 3 tbs. shredded fresh Mint Leaves, or to taste
1) Drain yogurt in a sieve lined with a dampened paper towel set over a bowl 30 minutes.
2) Transfer drained yogurt to a small bowl and stir in garlic paste and mint.
1) One 1/2 lb. fresh ground Lamb from the Shoulder
2) 1 minced Garlic Clove
3) 1 tbs. minced fresh Rosemary or 1 tsp. crumbled dried Rosemary
4) 1 tbs. minced fresh Parsley Leaves or 1 tsp. dried Thyme
5) Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
1) Prepare grill.
2) In a bowl gently but thoroughly combine the lamb, garlic, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper.
3) Grill on an oiled rach set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 7 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
The Chopped Salad
1) 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata Olives
2) 2 ripe medium Tomatoes - seeded and coarsely chopped
3) 3 tbs. minced fresh Parsley
4) 2 tbs. Olive Oil
5) 2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1) In a bowl combine olives, tomates, parsley, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
2) Season with salt and pepper.
The Other Ingredients
1) 1/2 cup cumbled Goat Cheese
2) 6 Pita - each split halfway around an edge to form a pocket
The Final Assembly:
1) Transfer burgers to pita pockets and sprinkle with goat cheese.
2) Top with chopped salad,
3) Serve burgers with yogurt sauce.
Le Cirque Lobster Salad
1) 4 small poached Lobster Tails
2) 1 head Bibb Lettuce (8 leaves - torn into rounds)
3) 1 Tomato - cut in thin wedges
4) 1/3 lb. Haricot Vert (string beans) - blanched
5) 1 grapefruit - separated into supreme's (segments with membrane removed)
6) 1 Avocado - cut into wedges
7) Lemon Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
8) Brandy Cocktail Sauce (see recipe below)
9) Potato Confit (see recipe below)
10) Fresh minced chives for garnish
The Lemon Vinaigrette
1) Pool a small amount of the brandy cocktail sauce in the center of the serving dish.
2) Arrange two or three of the lettuce leaves on top of the sauce, allowing a portion of the
sauce to be visible.
3) Place the poached lobster on top of the lettuce.
4) Arrange the tomato wedges, grapefruit segments, avocado wedges, haricot vert and
potato confit decoratively around the lettuce/lobster base.
5) Drizzle the salad lightly with the lemon vinaigrette and garnish with the fresh minced chives.
6) Serve immediately.
1) 1 Lemon - juiced
2) 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3) Salt and freshly ground Pepper
1) Whisk the olive oil briskly into the lemon juice to create an emulsion.
2) Add salt and pepper to taste.
The Brandy Cocktail Sauce
1) 1 cup Mayonnaise
2) 1/2 cup Ketchup
3) 1/4 cup Heavy Cream - whipped
4) 2 tbs. Lemon Juice
5) 2 tbs. Brandy
6) 1 tsp. Lea and Perrins
7) 1/4 tsp. Salt
8) 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1) Mix all the ingredients together.
2) Store in the refrigerator until needed.
The Potato Confit
1) 2 small new Potatoes - peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch rounds.
2) 3 to 4 tbs. Olive Oil
3) 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
4) 1/4 tsp. fresh Ground Pepper
5) 1 clove finely minced Garlic
6) 1 tsp. freshly minced Thyme
1) Poach potato sliced in salted water until just tender. - about 8 to 10 minutes.
2) Strain the potatoes and while still warm gently mix with the remainder of the ingredients,
being careful to keep the rounds intact.
Le Cirque Creme Brulee
1) 1 qt. Heavy Cream
2) 3/4 cup granulated Sugar
3) 1 Vanilla Bean - halved lengthwise and scraped
4) 8 Egg Yolks
5) 8 tbs. Brown Sugar
1) In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, granulated sugar, vanilla bean and the
vanilla bean scrapings.
2) Heat until hot but not boiling, stirring to ensure the sugar is fully dissolved.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and slowly add them to the warm cream mixture,
4) Fill each ramekin and place in a warm water bath.
5) Cove with aluminum foil.
6) Bake 15 minutes at 300 degrees f. and chil 3 hours.
7) Sprinkle each custard ramekin with 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
8) Brulee with a torch or under the broiler and serve immediately.