Chicago, Illinois. 60622
1) 1 lb. cooked Shrimp - chopped (Scallops, Snapper, Tuna
or any mild-flavored seafood may be substituted)
2) 1/2 cup Lime Juice
3) 1/4 cup White Vinegar
4) 1/4 cup Mirin Sweet Rice Wine (Orange or Pineapple
Juice may be substituted)
5) 1/2 tsp. finely chopped Garlic
6) 1/4 tsp. finely grated Ginger
7) 1/4 cup diced Red Bell Pepper
8) 1/4 cup diced Pineapple, no juice
9) 2 tbs. finely diced Chives (Scallions may be substituted)
10) 1/4 tsp. Salt
11) 1/4 tsp. ground Black Pepper
12) 1 cup Coconut Cream (see recipe below). (Cream Cheese
may be substituted)
1) Combine the first six ingredients in a non-reactive bowl
and allow to marinate for 25 minutes.
2) Drain all liquid from seafood and add the remaining
ingredients to the bowl.
3) Mix gently but thoroughly with a spoon and chill 1 hour
Preparation of the Coconut
1) Coconut cream is coconut milk reduced to a heavy
thick cream...the consistency of cream cheese.
2) Pour one 14 oz. can of coconut milk (Chaokoh brand is
preferable since it has the least amount of water) into a
pot and reduce on medium heat until coconut milk
becomes thick (about 15-20 minutes).
3) Whisk the coconut reduction smooth because during
cooking...the coconut oil will separate from the solids.
4) Allow to cool 1 hour before using.
5) Once cool, it will be firm like cream cheese.