Raymond Southern - Executive Chef
Grilled Prawn Brushetta
with Primavera Salsa
(serves 8 to 12 small cakes)
The Prawn Brushcetta
1) 24 Prawns - peeled and de-veined
2) 1/2 cup Garlic Herb Oil (see recipe below)
3) 1/2 cup Basil - Chiffonade
4) 4 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese - shaved
5) 1 baguette - sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal (approx. 24 slices)
6) Kosher Salt to taste
7) Primavera Salsa (see recipe below)
1) Place bread and prawns in a large bowl and toss lightly with Garlic Herb Oil
to coat evenly.
2) Grill prawns and bread, seasoning with kosher salt and prawns are just done
and bread is nicely marked and toasted.
3) Slice grilled prawns in half lengthwise and toss with salsa and basil.
4) Top bread with prawn-salsa mixture, divide evenly, placing approximately 2
pieces of prawn per slice.
5) Shave parmesan over brushetta.
6) Arrange on a plate and drizzle with herbed oil.
The Garlic Herb Oil
(yield 1 cup)
1) 2 tbs. minced Garlic
2) 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3) 1 tbs. fresh Parsley - minced
4) 1 tbs. fresh Basil - minced
1) Whisk all ingredients well.
2) Refrigerate and stir well before use.
The Privarvera Salsa
(yield 2 cups)
1) 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2) 1/2 cup Red Onion - sliced
3) 1 tbs. Garlic - minced
4) 1 cup fresh Corn Kernals
5) 1/2 cup English Cucumber - diced
6) 1 cup Tomato - diced
7) 1/4 cup Celery - diced
8) 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper - chopped
9) Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
1) Heat oil in a saute pan.
2) Lightly saute the onion, garlic and corn.
3) Deglaze with balsamic vinegar.
4) Place the cucumber, tomato, celery, red pepper, salt and pepper in a large
5) Toss in sauteed corn mixture and mix well.
Dungeness Crab Cakes
with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
(serves 6 with two crepes each)
The Main Item
1) 1/2 cup Celery - finely diced
2) 1/2 cup Onion (Shallots) - finely diced
3) 1/2 cup 3 Red Bell Pepper - diced
4) 3 cup Dungeness Crab Meat - picked and well drained
5) 1 cup Mayonnaise
6) 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
7) 1/4 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
8) 1 tbs. choped Chives
9) 1/4 tsp. Thyme
10) 1/2 tsp. Garlic - minced
11) 1 1/2 cup Panko or Bread Crumbs - as needed
12) 1/2 Lemon - juiced
13) 2 Eggs
14) Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl. Use bread crumbs to help reach the
2) Using a small quantity of mixture, begin to mold in to the desired cake shape.
3) Place the cakes on sheet pans sprinkled with dry Panko crumbs.
4) Wrap tightly and stor in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
The Sweet Chili Sauce
1) 1/2 oz. fresh minced Ginger
2) 1/4 oz. Garlic - minced
3) 1/2 fl. oz. White Wine Vinegar
4) 1 fl. oz. Line Juice (fresh if possible)
5) 12 fl. oz. Sake (Japanese Wine)
6) 4 fl oz. Heavy Cream
7) 12 oz. Unsalted Butter - cold and cut into chunks
8) 2 fl. oz. Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
9) Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a heavy sauce pot over medium high heat...combine ginger, garlic, vinegar,
lime juice and sake.
2) Reduce heat and bring mixture to the consistency of light syrup.
3) Add cream and bring mixture to a boil, being careful not to scorch.
4) Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cold butter chunks.
5) Whisk in the chili sauce, salt and pper as well, adjusting to taste.
1) Saute crab cakes in a non-stick saute pan with a small amount of Canola Oil
until golden on each side and heated through.
2) Drain briefly on paper towels.
3) Arrange the crab cake on a plate.
4) Drizzle with chili sauce.
5) Pile high with marinated cucumbers.
6) Sprinkle with chopped chives.
7) Garnish with chive strands.
Crepes with Mexican
1) 2 1/2 cups Whole Milk
2) 5 large Eggs
3) 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
4) 6 tbs. Unsalted Butter - melted and cooled slightly
5) 2 tbs. Sugar
6) 3/4 tsp. Salt
1) In a blender combine the milk, eggs, flour, butter, sugar and salt. Blend
2) Let stand in the blender for approximately 1 hour at room temperature.
Be prepared to blend again just before using.
3) Brush and 8" or 9" nonstick skillet lightly with melted butter and place it
over medium-high heat.
4) Pour 1/4 cup full of batter into the skillet, tilting to allow the batter to coat
the bottom of the pan.
5) Cook until the crepe is golden on the bottom (approx. 1 minute). Turn the
crepe over and cook until brown on both sides (approx. 45 seconds).
6) Transfer to a paper towel to cool and repeat the process to form another
crepe. In all you will be able to make approx. 24 crepes.
7) Crepes freeze well so select 12 for this recipe and freeze the remainder.
The Mexican Chocolate Sauce
(enough for 12 Crepes)
1) 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
2) 1/4 cup strong brewed Coffee
3) 8 oz. Bittersweet or Semisweet Chocolate - roughtly chopped
4) ground Cinnamon
5) 1 1/2 cups Almonds - toasted and sliced
1) In a small heavy sauce pan combine the whipping cream and coffee.
2) Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
3) Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth.
4) Stir in the cinnamon.
5) Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator (will keep for up to 3 days).
6) Slowly warm over low heat before serving.
1) Place 1 crepe on a plate, spread with 1 tablespoon of almonds.
2) fold the crepe in half over the filling, then again, half forming a triangle.
3) Repeat with the remaining 11 crepes, sauce and almonds.
4) Arrange the crepes in a (13" X9" 2") glass baking dish, overlapping slightly
5) Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
6) Pour just enough remaining sauce over the crepes to lightly coat them.
7) Bake until heated through (approx. 15 minutes).
8) Sprinkle with any remaining sliced almonds and serve.
Grand Marnier Chocolate
1) 1 lb. Butter
2) 11 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate
3) 9 oz. Sugar
4) 1/2 tsp. Salt
5) 4 oz. Flour
6) 2 oz. Cocoa Powder
7) 2 tsp. Baking Powder
8) 1 oz. Grand Marnier
9) 1 tbs. Orange Zest
10) 3 Eggs
11) 3 Egg Yolks
12) 3 Egg whites
13) Vanilla Extract to taste
14) Grand Marnier Whipped Cream (see recipe below)
1) Melt together 12 ounces of the butter and also the bittersweet chocolate. Set aside.
2) Then mix the remaining butter and also 7 ounces of the sugar until fluffy.
3) Add in the eggs and egg yolks one by one, mixing about 30 seconds each.
4) Add the melted butter and chocolate (needs to be just lukewarm).
5) Add the Grand Marnier and Orange Zest.
6) Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Add the dry
ingredients into the butter/egg mixture and mix for 3 minutes at high speed.
7) Make a meringue with the egg whites and remaining sugar and fold into the
8) Fill a small oven-safe dish with 7 oz. of the cake mixture and bake at 375 degrees
for 15 to 20 minutes.
The Grand Marnier Whipped
1) 33 oz. Heavy Cream
2) 2/5 cup Sugar
3) 3 oz. Grand Marnier Liquor
1) Whip the heavy cream together with the sugar.
2) Add in the Grand Marnier.
1) While Volcano cake is baking, prepare the Grand Marnier Whipped Cream.
2) Let cake cool slightly and serve with special whipped cream on the side.
3) Garnish with fruit or nothing but a fork!