Corn and Meat Pastel
"This South American dish is similar in spirit to a shepherd's
pie (with corn empahsized instead of potatoes) but its
savory flavor is joined by a sweet touch of sugar.
This recipe makes twelve servings."
1) 5 tbs. Oil
2) 4-6 Chicken Breast halves
3) Salt and Pepper to taste
4) 6 cups Corn Kernels
5) 1/5 cup fresh Basil - finely chopped
6) 1 tsp. Salt
7) 3 tbs. Butter
8) 1 cup Milk
9) 4 Onions - finely chopped
10) 1 lb. Ground Lean Beef
11) 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
12) 4 hard-boiled Eggs - sliced
13) 1 cup Black Olives
14) 2 cups Raisins
15) 2 tbs Confectioner's Sugar
1) In two tablespoons of hot oil over medium high heat, quickly brown the chicken
on both sides. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
2) Heat the corn, basil, salt and butter in a large pot. Add the milk a bit at a time
stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
Then remove from the heat and set aside.
3) Saute the onions in the remaining oil until translucent and then add the ground
meat. Stir in the cumin plus salt and pepper to taste. When the meat is browned,
remove from the heat.
4) Line the bottom of an oven-proof serving dish with the meat-and-onion mixture.
Atop this, make a layer of hard-boiled egg slices, olives and raisins. Lay the
chicken breast pieces atop that layer and then cover entirely with the corn
mixture. Sprinkle confectioners sugar over the corn layer.
5) Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Serve
sprinking more confectioner's sugar over each portion as desired.